Possible dead chick ?

ruairidh113

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2019
I’m hatching 8 eggs under a hen and I’ve spotted a problem in one of the eggs. This chick was the first to breach the shell and had broke around 3 quarters the way round but I took it from under the hen and looked at it. It did not seem to be moving or breathing. I’m not sure what the problem could be ??

To be clear, you aren't hatching eggs, your hen is hatching eggs. I'm not trying to be glib or overly critical here but making the point that all you are doing is interfering with her very important work.
I've never pulled an egg from under a setting hen, especially when hatching is imminent. The hen needs to sit to retain humidity. That is akin to opening the incubator during lockdown.
If one messes around with the eggs during the process, that negates the whole advantage of having a hen do all the work. They've been hatching eggs for millions of years with no human intervention. They don't need intervention now.

Last edited:
To be clear, you aren't hatching eggs, your hen is hatching eggs. I'm not trying to be glib here but making the point that all you are doing is interfering with her very important work.
I've never pulled an egg from under a setting hen, especially when hatching is imminent. The hen needs to sit to retain humidity. That is akin to opening the incubator during lockdown.
If one messes around with the eggs during the process, that negates the whole advantage of having a hen do all the work. They've been hatching eggs for millions of years with no human intervention. They don't need intervention now.
X2

Sometimes intervention is needed. My broody was crushing each egg as it started to hatch. I threw the surviving eggs in the incubator and gave them back once they hatched and started hopping around.

Back
Top Bottom