Possible dehydration or a desease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leafinator1999, Dec 27, 2014.

1. leafinator1999

leafinator1999 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    I have a rooster (1 of 3) that prefers to stay in the coop for the most part I assume to guard the food and watch the hens that come in and out to feed or lay eggs during the day. He seemed ok yesterday but today when I went out to check on them I noticed he'd lost weight, his comb is pale and looked dry, he was high stepping and seemed disoriented. When he tried to get food his peck was awkward almost like he couldn't see the food was a making a best guess. We keep the water dish outside of the coop to encourage the birds to go outside and that's worked for the past few months. We just got back from a trip 2 days ago so I don't know how much they were looked after by family that stayed at our house. I have to assume that they were taken care off as the same people that watched our chickens this trip have watched them on other trips in the past with no problems. They said it rained for 4 days straight while we were gone so it's possible that he didn't go outside to drink for 4 days or longer. I picked him up and took him to the water which after some encouragement he drank like it was going out of style. In fact, he was drinking so much that I took him to another part of the pen to let him digest the water. After a few minutes I took him back and let him drink more before leaving him in another part of the pen. Both times when he drank he spilled water like crazy down the front of him. Each time when I picked him up he protested a bit and his stomach seemed to gurgle. I was just told that the high stepping started about a week ago after we'd left. Please let me know if you need any other information. Thank in advance.

2. chalidobrenz

chalidobrenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    My chicken did that when her GI tract was backed up. She would happily drink but was uninterested in food. She kept her tail feathers down like she was uncomfortable by her hind end and just didn't act herself. She was rather skinny and mopey by the time I realized something was wrong. We gave her metoclopramide from the vet, which helped, but the vet also said we could try putting her up to her belly in a warm bath to relax her guts and get them moving again. I also made her scrambled eggs with olive oil because it's nutrient dense and the oil can help move things along in her belly. If your rooster was inside for a long period of time and didn't drink, he could very well be a bit plugged up as well. I would encourage fluids and offer foods high in water content. I gave mine electrolytes, too, for extra support. Watch for his droppings to make sure they're normal, and that he is going to the chicken potty. :)

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

More info is needed: How old is this bird? Is he eating and is his crop emptying over night like it should? Is he possibly staying in the coop to avoid the other roosters, maybe being bullied by them? Has he ever been dewormed? Checked for mites?

4. leafinator1999

Dec 27, 2014
    Thank you both for your kind replies!

How old is this bird? He is 9 months old. He's a part of the original 30 chickens I bought this spring and are the first chickens I've ever owned.

Is he eating? He is eating albeit disoriented. He'll peck a few times near the bowl before figuring out where the food is.

Is his crop emptying over night like it should? I'm afraid I'm a newbie so I'm not sure I understand this one. I can say this, picking him up and feeling him, I don't feel any enlargements. I based upon a diagram I found here: http://www.poultryhelp.com/impactedcrop.html

Is he possibly staying in the coop to avoid the other roosters, maybe being bullied by them? While it's possible, I personally have not seen this yet. He does sleep overnight on the ground in a corner with 2 or 3 hens. While outside checking on him a few minutes ago I noticed that he was being chased by some of the hens. He ran straight into the fence in fact. He's kept himself largely isolated since a dog attack where his tail feathers were fully in the dogs mouth (before we had the fence up, we also had a fox problem where a fox got 4 of the hens.)

Has he ever been dewormed? No

Checked for mites? No

One other thing I need to mention that we got these chickens when they were a few weeks old last March. I took care of them full time until June 13th when I had a motorcycle accident where I broke my back, 6 ribs, punctured a lung etc...since that time, their care has not been as thorough as I would have done. I'm only now 6 months later able to start going out there myself, bend over to feed them etc...I apologize for being so behind on my knowledge because of this.

5. leafinator1999

Dec 27, 2014
    I posted another reply that is currently awaiting a mods approval since I put a link in the message. That post has all of the answers to the your questions but I wanted to throw this information in right now, I've continued to do some research and he has dry avian pox. I haven't been able to find out if the pox causes his orientation though. Any thoughts?

6. chalidobrenz

chalidobrenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Has your bird improved/ worsened? My chicken high stepped and kind of half heartedly pecked at things and obsessively wiped her beak on things when she was sick. Discomfort in her back end seemed to be relieved by keeping her leg tucked up high. Sometimes signs of illness are of fairly simple origin.

7. leafinator1999

Dec 27, 2014
    Sorry about the slow reply! He's doing much better. It turned out to be a combination of avian pox and dehydration.

8. leafinator1999

Dec 27, 2014
    Sad news, he died 4 days ago. He'll be missed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by