Possible diariah-chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RJ3, May 20, 2011.

1. RJ3

RJ3 In the Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Northern wi
    Being new to chickens i may be overreacting. Id rather be safe than sorry. My chicks are 7-8 weeks old, idk what breeds exactly since TSC is so helpfull. the chicks have been outside off and on for about two weeks now. They are eating non medicated feed, they seem to be eating a ton. I haven't noticed any lethargy. Two days ago I did note some poop changes, it seemed like one of them had very loose runny poop. Today they all seem to have it. My best description would be a light colored melted chocolate. My questions are, is this considered chicken diariah? Could it be from change in diet/being outside longer? Stress? Should I be concerned and what should I do? Any info would be appreciated, thanks !

2. RJ3

RJ3 In the Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Northern wi
    Also, what other symptoms should I watch for?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    That is cecal poop and occurs at about every 8-10 droppings, it stinks badly and is normal for them to do that. If you ever see blood in their poop...that's a different story. Here's a link to the poop chart for you to see what is normal and what isnt normal:
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

4. RJ3

RJ3 In the Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Northern wi
    Wow I never would have done a search for a poop chart! Thank you that is very helpfull, I'm glad to find out everything is normal. I haven't seen any blood anywhere, Ive been keeping an eye out. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by