possible disease?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TSalyers, Oct 15, 2015.

1. TSalyers

TSalyers New Egg

May 27, 2014
    Rensselaer
    A few weeks ago I noticed a chicken keeping it's eye closed. As I kept watch in it became swollen but I thought the Turkey pecked her eye. Now yesterday I noticed another with a spot by its Beek and one under its eye. And today the Turkey has the same spot on its throat and another chicken seemed to have trouble seeing on one side. It's eye was just slightly cloudy and had tint bubbles that looked like soap in her eye. I don't know what could be wrong. I've read many things but no diffinative answers. Any thoughts?

2. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom

I'm not sure but it sounds like fowl pox which is viral.. Nothing much you can do but keep them isolated warm and maybe give them vitamins... It usually goes away on its own.. Keep a look out that it doesn't turn into a bacterial infection that may require antibiotics. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to hear your flock is under the weather :hugs I too agree that this could be fowl pox or it could be a respiratory infection. Resp infections can also cause the eyes to bubble. Could you post some pics? This would really help. You can also drop by the emergencies injuries disease cure section. Here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck :fl

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome to BYC. So sorry your flock is ill. Please do post under emergencies to get opinions to help with the diagnosis and treatment.

Hope they will recover.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please do post on the emergencies thread, photos are good if you have them to help make a diagnosis. You may want to post also on the "Turkey thread," to ask about your turkey. Some folks keep chickens and turkeys separated because chickens can carry "Blackhead disease" to them. I don't think this is what your turkey is developing but, it would be good to ask.

1 person likes this.
  6. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

Good luck.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by