possible dog attack & can't stand, curled toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by okiegreengal65, Feb 7, 2017.

1. okiegreengal65

okiegreengal65 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Oklahoma
    My bull found her while i was doing chicken chores.She has puncture wounds thru the skin on the right side of her back closer to her tail that I have cleaned and treated. She couldn't stand when we found her. The toes on her right foot are curled and she won'put weight on it. Will not stand on other foot but can hold weight on it. She only scoots/squats a little. Wouldn't eat or drink anything last night when I brought her n and only ate something just now. What do I need to do with this leg situation. She is such a sweetie and has bed do calm I once I picked her up. She was screaming like crazy when ole buster was sniffing her with his big ole buggar maker.

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Got pictures of her toes? Have you checked her leg, not broken or loose tendon? Aside from the curled toes, is there any injury? IF there's no 'slipped/ tendon, no visible injury to her foot, you may want to consider spreading them out & tape them. Put her in a sling so she can "use" her leg, yet not put too much weight on it. I'm just guessing here, someone with more experience should be peeping in soon.

Assuming she's eating & drinking? If not you could wet her feed & maybe some yogurt or boiled egg yolk.

Good luck.

3. okiegreengal65

Apr 18, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    First pic is of the wounds on her back. Most of the yellow looking spots are skin that it's pulled loose. The puncture hold is treated the right and twards the top of photo. She is leaning on the side of curled toes but only damage I could see was her"knee" on the better foot is swollen. That's the pink vet wrap I had just put on her. I haven't treated her back since this afternoon that's why it looks rough. Had just cleaned her up some after she ate and drank her vit/electro water. Are and drank real good.

4. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I'd try tape (adhesive part of a band aid works better than vet wrap) her toes open but I'm no expert at first aid with chickens....Surprised no one peeped in with their assessment [​IMG] Wonder if she had some kind of nerve damage....You may want to put her in a sling & work that leg with the curled toes, don't want her legs going stiff. Keep that wound clean & watch for infection.

5. okiegreengal65

Apr 18, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thanks I wondered if there may be damage to her spine some somehow. She does move the toes and will try to hold on to me with them when I pick her up.I'll build her a hammock type seat for her too set in to help her with exercise, also so she isn't setting on it. Maybe she will be more comfortable. The vet wrap was used around her knees, one looked a little swollen. I read a post about how to check if she had a slipped tendon, wondered about that.
    Wondered myself why I hadn't had more comments this morning myself. Kind of disappointing.

6. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    [​IMG]Keep giving her the TLC and I just feel that she will slowly recover. I had a dog attack a chicken of mine 1 1/2 years ago. Thought she would not make it.................. But she did. Only sad part is she is blind as a result. Her head got chewed pretty bad... [​IMG]I take care of her until she goes to other side naturally. She is almost 11 years old now. here is a pix before the attack.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    cavemanrich - She's so pretty, you did a great job nursing her. What breed is she?

okiegreengal65 - BYC members are the best for advice & help. You state "possible dog attack", have you figured out what caused the injury? You may want to want to give her some riboflavin vitamin (minus the iron), may help with her toe/leg recovery. Maybe some boiled egg yolk or veggies high in Riboflavin. I used for my chick (3wks old) that had a sudden on set of Curly Toe Paralysis (taped toes, PolyVison less iron, boiled egg yolk mixed in its feed) seemed like forever but it was 2wks and he was walking & strutting his best.

8. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    ChickNanny13 She is an Easter Egger. Originally had 3 and she is last one left. She coincidently has birth day or hatch day on Easter. LOL My DD gave me 3 way back in 2006 for Easter. Of course she has a name Delilah, All my pets have names.. [​IMG]

9. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I've got 5 Blue Wynadottes at this time, hoping someday to get some EEs. Had 2 last year that I had to sell which I regret but there is Chicken Math.

[​IMG]My 2 EEs (Tawny & Dusk) & 2 RIRs (Ehu & Rojo)

[​IMG]Latest girls; NT, 1T, 2T, Dolly & Mohawk

SORRY didn't mean to hi-jack your thread ogiegreengal65 Keep us posted as to how your hen's doing.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  10. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Highjacking is allowed here.... [​IMG]
    Beautiful birds. The other two on top look like RIR. which I have one of, and a Red sex link which looks very similar. Sex link lays JUMBO eggs while my RIR lays XL. I would like to have one Blue Wyandotte. I only keep chickens as pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by