Possible Ear mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickadee25, Sep 13, 2009.

1. chickadee25

chickadee25 New Egg

Aug 21, 2009
    Hi, I was just wondering if chickens can get ear mites? I have been watching my girls today and one of them seems to be scratching her ears alot and shaking her head side to side. I was also wondering what you can use to get rid of them. Can they get mites from the wood shavings I brought from the produce store?

She is a pekin bantam approx 5 months old, she is eating and drinking fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. Her poo is normal. I haven't started any treatment. They have wood shavings on the floor of their coop where they sleep at night.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, bugs can and do live in shavings; particularly if the shavings were not kiln dried. You can add poultry dust or sevin to the shavings to kill off any mites or lice living in them. DE works as a preventative, but may help control a heavy infestation.

Look your birds over to see if they have mites or lice (check under wings, in hackles/head, around vent. If you find any, you must treat each bird and their housing--spray all porous surfaces (wood especially), cracks and crevases/

3. chickadee25

chickadee25 New Egg

Aug 21, 2009
    Thanks for the reply, I have looked them all over and I cant see any on the chickens. If they have ear mites would they also be on the body? I think i will get some stuff to put through the wood shavings as a preventative just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by