Possible early shrink wrappage!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Katie Jo, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Katie Jo

Katie Jo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    I currently have 21 eggs in my incubator. I candled last night at day 8 (well, 7 1/2 days technically)....found 2 that were clear and pitched them. The others seem to have pretty big air cells...almost too big in comparison to candling pics I've seen. I'm worried that I've been running my humidity too low...it's been around 35%. I put a wet sponge in to bump the humidity up to 44%, and I have a humidifier running in the room. I originally planned to try the "dry" method....but I have a feeling that due to the freezing cold, it might not be a good idea (furnace running constantly and all). If I shrink wrapped these chicks THIS early, is it too late to fix? Or if I up the humidity, will they fix themselves?

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i always keep my humidty at 30-35% days 1-18, then on day 18 bring it up to 50-55% and get 95 to 100% to hatch. I have and LG With fan and turner

3. Katie Jo

Aug 12, 2008
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    Well that's what I was originally going for. But the air cells look REALLY big right now. I'll try to get a picture of one and post it (if I can figure out how to!) I was under the impression that humidity too low can cause the air cells to grow too fast.

4. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i don't think that if you bring it up a little it will hurt them, but would not go over 40% at this time, you want them to (the air cell) to grow at this point. I have 36 RIR's egg in my bator, and will try to take pic's one some tonight but i am on day 6

5. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I would up the humidty if you feel the air cells are too large. Think of the overall cycle.

If you up it, candle again in a few days to check progress, you may need to drop it down again. We run a constant controlled 45% through all hatches. We have had some develop larger air cells, and they did hatch out fine.

Our success rate runs at 90% for home layed eggs, much lower for shipped, or even for those eggs that are "local" and have taken a ride.

6. Katie Jo

Aug 12, 2008
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    So it's not too late, then? I sure hope not....I'd cry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by