Possible egg bound chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2DogsCoop, Jun 22, 2011.

1. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    We only got 3 eggs yesterday from our 5 RIR's. When I went out to close up the coop last evening one of the girls was in the nesting box while the other 4 were on the roost. My wife just called me and said that she was still in the nesting box this morning. Could this be a sign of an egg bound chicken? She doesn't seem to be straining in any way just sitting in the box. Any suggestions on what we can do? Thanks

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    might she just be broody?

3. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I am new to raising chickens so forgive me if this sounds stupid but can they go broody without a rooster?

4. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Yes, absolutely! They'll sit on this infertile eggs for weeks! [​IMG]
    Sure signs of broodiness are her being a bit defensive or grumpy if you disturb her on the nest, and her coming out once or twice a day to eat and drink.

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I would think so but not positive. I think it is just an instinctive thing? if I am wrong someone will correct me. lol

6. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    We have a Cornish and an orpington doing the same thing. They are broody and there is only a young rooster, so the eggs are infertile.

7. phy

phy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    I had 5 of my chickens die from being egg-bound [​IMG] Is there blood or white pastiness around her vent? If not, I would be inclined to think she is not egg bound, since all of my 5 had that. Also, do you have enough laying boxes for your chickens? If you do, she should be fine. [​IMG]

8. ilovebalkbalks

ilovebalkbalks Just Hatched

Jun 6, 2016
    To stop broodiness, I have found putting the lower half of their body in water seems to be the most effective method. I would say do it at the warmest part of the day and don't let them go until they are completely dry. If it starts getting cold or windy, take them inside and put them in a warm room. Hope this is useful to someone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by