Possible egg bound duck. Need advice/help

Fryefish

Hatching
Oct 23, 2020
The duck seems egg bound. She hasn’t laid in probably 3 days. She poops a lot but it is different from her normal poop. I attached a picture of her poop. I felt her pelvic area and couldn’t feel an egg. She drinks plenty of water but doesn’t eat food much. She eats a little bit of food. I tried putting her in the warm tub to see if I could loosen anything up. She sat in their probably around 35 minutes. I really need some help I would take any advice. Thank you

Attachments

• 471417BA-3A54-48F1-9BC3-6EB29BED7809.jpeg
    471417BA-3A54-48F1-9BC3-6EB29BED7809.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
An egg bound hen will have a penguin stance and pulsate their tail up and down... the lack of egg laying may be due to the shorter days and / or molting.

Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry to hear about your duck.

Could you post a video or a few pictures of her? To post a video, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

How old is the duck? What is she being fed, any supplements, or treats? How long has she been acting like this? Has she had any problems in the past?

If she is feeling ill, she really needs to be brought inside, and set in a warm, dimly lit area. If you think she may be having a hard time expelling an egg, you could administer a calcium supplement such as calcium gluconate, or tums. You can acquire calcium gluconate at most feed stores such as TSC, you can dose her 1ml orally. As an alternative, you can crush some tums, mix it with some water, and give her a few drops orally.

I’m having the EXACT same issue with my duck. And she’s acting the same as described. Any suggestions on how to help her?

Back
Top Bottom