Possible Egg Bound Hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sofarabbit, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Sofarabbit

Sofarabbit Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Hi all! I have two porcelain d'uccles who are about a year and a half old. Recently (on Tuesday) one of them began squatting every few minutes and straining. I let it ride for a day but she kept doing it, so I decided to give her a warm bath in case she was trying to pass an egg Wednesday night. All this while she has been behaving normally: eating, drinking, talking, and running around her cage. Other than the squatting, nothing has changed in her behavior. She is relieving herself, although her droppings have been more runny than usual. On Wednesday night, one of the hens laid an egg. I'm not sure which, although I suspect it might be the healthy one. Thursday my squatting hen appeared to be acting normally. However today she is squatting more than ever. I looked at her vent and she had some wet droppings stuck there. Maybe she is sick and not egg bound? Please help, I don't know what she has and I am worried she is egg bound because she could die.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check inside the vent 1 inch with a finger (rubber glove optional) for a stuck egg. I would only give her layer feed, and put some probiotics in her water. Then I would worm her (and the others) if you haven't done that recently. Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1/4 ml for bantams given to each one orally, then repeat in 10 days. Here is a link for Valbazen: http://www.kvsupply.com/valbazen-su...6&cadevice=c&gclid=CLr7joP5jMICFe7m7Aodtx4A2Q

3. Sofarabbit

Sofarabbit Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Thank you for your help. I do not think she is egg bound anymore (if she ever even was.) I figure if she was egg bound she would have likely passed away already (I've read that hens that are egg bound generally perish within 48 hours and she had seemed sick since Thursday.). The last two days I have not seen her strain at all. I will worm them as you suggested as well. Thanks for your help and I'm glad my hen is ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by