Possible egg-bound or other blockage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thebritt, Mar 5, 2009.

1. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    :(Last night my 4 yr old hen was sitting on the floor of the coop - never a good sign. She's still heavy (not emmaciated yet), and this was the first sign of a problem (she was out with the flock the day before). She won't stand and seems to be fading fast. Her lower abdomen seems "full" and kinda mushy (not super rigid). No runny eyes/nose etc. If she's blocked or egg-bound, how would I know? What can I do? I'm not squeemish - was a vet assistant for 3+ years, have LOTS of animals. HELP! and thanks

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Remove her from the flock and place her in a dog crate. You can give her a warm bath and see if that helps.

3. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I isolated her this morning, and I'll bring her inside (we have a spare bathroom) tonite. But I need to know if I should try a KY Jelly probe or something or if that is not a good idea. I'd hate to think I could have saved her if I had only...?

4. katrinag

I would soak her bum, can you feel anything that feel like an egg?

5. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I'm not home yet, but I will definately check better than I did this morning (I was on my way to work). If I feel a bump, I'll think impacted egg. But what if I don't?

6. katrinag

if it is not and egg then I do not know.

7. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, my internet connection is defunct, so I won't be able to converse until tommorrow. Be well.

8. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    I have been fighting a similar battle for 8 days with one of my best egg layers. Please see my post. There are a lot of good replies and hopefully something there will be able to help you.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=138126.
    Hope she makes it..I'll try to check back here later today to see how it's going for you and your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by