Possible Egg Bound

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I have an 11 month old mutt barred rock hen. Due to the winter she hasn’t been laying at all. We got two shift shell eggs in i want to say the beginning of december and then a shelled egg a couple weeks ago but other then that she hasn’t been laying. Today she was fine in the morning/early afternoon and then around 3:00 she became very lethargic. She’s usually the first to fly to me when i grab the treat bag but she just wanted to stay under the rose bush and not move. She kept nodding off everyone couple minutes. Her poop is very green and runny and smells horrible. And her back end is pulsing. I tried feeling her abdomen for an egg but i’m not really sure what i’m looking for, her abdomen feels squishy. We put all of the hens back into the run and she laid in the far corner not moving for a couple hours. I have a light that turns off at 8:30 pm and even after the light went off she didn’t get up to go into the coop. After researching and looking on here i think she’s egg bound. I soaked her in a warm bath with epsom salt and gave her calcium citrate through syringe. Is it possible that she’s eggs bound? I could do the finger test but i don’t want to pop the egg incase it is a soft shelled egg.

Give her another calcium citrate, only this time, give her the entire intact tablet directly into her beak. She needs the full dose for it to do any good. This won't overdose her if you managed to already get a full tablet into her.

You can't feel a shell-less egg when it gets stuck. I can't understand why everyone insists on telling people to "feel for an egg" when most of the time, you can't. it's sort of an empty bromide for "I don't know what to tell you do do, but go feel for an egg even though I don't know why I'm telling you to do it."

The calcium plus plenty of water to drink and a quiet, warm place to rest while the calcium works to stimulate contractions is the best treatment for egg binding. If it stretches into a second day, or even more, she will need a calcium tablet each day. Hydration is critical, so keep her supplied with water. She can have her food, too.

Give her another calcium citrate, only this time, give her the entire intact tablet directly into her beak. She needs the full dose for it to do any good. This won't overdose her if you managed to already get a full tablet into her.

You can't feel a shell-less egg when it gets stuck. I can't understand why everyone insists on telling people to "feel for an egg" when most of the time, you can't. it's sort of an empty bromide for "I don't know what to tell you do do, but go feel for an egg even though I don't know why I'm telling you to do it."

The calcium plus plenty of water to drink and a quiet, warm place to rest while the calcium works to stimulate contractions is the best treatment for egg binding. If it stretches into a second day, or even more, she will need a calcium tablet each day. Hydration is critical, so keep her supplied with water. She can have her food, too.
I will try to give her the full tablet but it’s a very big tablet about the size of a dime. I crushed up the first tablet gave it all to her just though a syringe and she luckily took it all. They always have fresh water! She is doing better today but still not her self

When chickens wish to, they are able to swallow a whole toad, a whole mouse, or a whole lizard. Those things are many times the size of a pill. Chickens are able to swallow things we humans can't due to the fact that their digestive process doesn't require chewing as the first step in the digestive process as humans are required. It's why chickens don't have teeth. They do not need them and they have no issues with swallowing things that would choke us humans.

When chickens wish to, they are able to swallow a whole toad, a whole mouse, or a whole lizard. Those things are many times the size of a pill. Chickens are able to swallow things we humans can't due to the fact that their digestive process doesn't require chewing as the first step in the digestive process as humans are required. It's why chickens don't have teeth. They do not need them and they have no issues with swallowing things that would choke us humans.
Oh very informational! I didn’t know this!

Back
Top Bottom