Possible egg broken inside chicken - please help

LittleBantam15

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
California
Hello,
I have a hen who I think has a broken egg inside of her. She is a very small old English game bantam and she is 5 1/2 years old. She was always a very inconsistent layer and she hasn't laid an egg for months now. This morning when we let the chickens out of their coop, instead of running to the food, she just stood off to the side, and didn't even perk up when we put out corn scratch. Her vent is prolapsed and slightly bloody. There is a combination of slimy stuff (possibly egg white) and poop clinging to her back end, and I just spotted a piece of egg shell amidst the mess. It has a foul smell.

I am worried because every time we call the only vets willing to see chickens around here, we have to wait at least a week for an appointment unless there is a cancellation, and with Christmas so soon, I don't know if the offices will even be open. This is something that seems like it needs immediate attention but I don't know what to do. I read that antibiotics are probably needed, but we won't be able to get those until the vet appointment.

She is willing to eat and drink a bit but not nearly as much as usual. Normally she is full of energy and very eager to eat anything. She is still flying out of the basket we put her in when I take the covering off, but she is also rather wobbly and very quiet (normally she is constantly chattering). She was completely fine yesterday, this is a new issue. A few of my chickens' egg shells tend to be weak (they will not eat the crushed oyster shell I put out for them so I'm not quite sure what to do about that). Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do right now?

unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

Well, she's a little doll! 🤗

Ok. I have that out of the way.
She's prolapsing a little?

She looks fairly alert, so I'd give her a cleanup so you can get a better look at the vent. Wash away the urates and discharge.
She's a tiny little thing, so I don't know if I'd feel inside the vent for more egg material or not, use your judgement on that.

She does need Calcium to help push material out and to help retain prolapsed tissue. Give her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet daily. I'd give her calcium Now and not wait. If you don't have Calcium Citrate, then if you have Tums, give her 1 of those. You may have to divide the tablet up or crush it and hide it in a bit of yogurt or scrambled egg.
See that she's staying hydrated. Electrolytes, a little sugar water or plain water - whatever suits her.

The smell may be from the discharge, but I do agree with you, if the odor does not dissapate or go away after cleanup, then I'd give her an antibiotic. Do you have anything on hand at all? Some feed stores carry fish antibiotics (Amoxicillin) but it's getting harder to find them in stores. You can order online if you wish. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=F7605B41-10BA-45F7-8AF3-5CD0530BC1C9

Well, she's a little doll! 🤗

Ok. I have that out of the way.
She's prolapsing a little?

She looks fairly alert, so I'd give her a cleanup so you can get a better look at the vent. Wash away the urates and discharge.
She's a tiny little thing, so I don't know if I'd feel inside the vent for more egg material or not, use your judgement on that.

She does need Calcium to help push material out and to help retain prolapsed tissue. Give her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet daily. I'd give her calcium Now and not wait. If you don't have Calcium Citrate, then if you have Tums, give her 1 of those. You may have to divide the tablet up or crush it and hide it in a bit of yogurt or scrambled egg.
See that she's staying hydrated. Electrolytes, a little sugar water or plain water - whatever suits her.

The smell may be from the discharge, but I do agree with you, if the odor does not dissapate or go away after cleanup, then I'd give her an antibiotic. Do you have anything on hand at all? Some feed stores carry fish antibiotics (Amoxicillin) but it's getting harder to find them in stores. You can order online if you wish. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=F7605B41-10BA-45F7-8AF3-5CD0530BC1C9
Haha thank you!

Yes, she's prolapsing a bit. I did clean her up earlier but the mess came back. I will give her another cleanup.

I am going out right now to get some calcium citrate tablets or Tums if I can't find any. I will make sure that she has plenty of water as well.

We don't have any antibiotics on hand, but if the smell doesn't go away I will check our local feed store for the amoxicillin. Thanks for the link!

Thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom