Possible egg eater on my hand. Best way of adding more chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justhatched, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    We bought our first 8 chickens in the spring of this year. A week later we bought 8 more. I love having them.

We got our first egg a few weeks ago and have recently we have gotten around 6 a day. Well, 7 were in the box but I noticed one egg had broken. I suspect it was a soft shell egg. I'm hoping it got stepped on or something and it just happened. This happened 3 times in less than a month. It looked like the egg had been eaten. I wasn't worried too much about having an egg eater because we have gotten eggs with no cracks or anything wrong with them. Do you think this could be a soft shell egg that happened to get stepped on? Or do you think I might have an egg eater?

Just before we started getting eggs I decided I was happy with the amount I have and didn't want anymore. I've changed my mind. I want a few more birds. I'm thinking Araucana, Barred Rock and to get a Buff roo. I would like to add them asap but worry about the quarantine and then putting them together. Our Red stars have strong personalities. I worry someone will get hurt. What do you think?

Thanks!

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:When I have a broken egg, I just smash it on the ground and my chickens eat it up in about 30 seconds. If you saw it, it is unlikely a "Chicken" egg eater. I t might be another type of predator, but chickens.... you'd never see it, at least in my limited experience.

As far as putting new groups together, I haven't quarantined mine. Not saying you shouldn't because I know I run the risk of disease. That said, I place the new ones near the others for about a week, then put them in the coop together at night night time. There will be some squabbling, but I've been lucky and not had a bloody chicken yet.

3. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Quote:When I have a broken egg, I just smash it on the ground and my chickens eat it up in about 30 seconds. If you saw it, it is unlikely a "Chicken" egg eater. I t might be another type of predator, but chickens.... you'd never see it, at least in my limited experience.

As far as putting new groups together, I haven't quarantined mine. Not saying you shouldn't because I know I run the risk of disease. That said, I place the new ones near the others for about a week, then put them in the coop together at night night time. There will be some squabbling, but I've been lucky and not had a bloody chicken yet.

There was a broken egg today sitting in the nest with 2 others. The shell was there and the bedding was wet. That is usually how I find them. The wet bedding. So that is 4 broken eggs now. Three of them had the shell still there. She shell was smashed but the liquid is usually gone. I guess I need to figure out a way to find out what is going on.

Thanks for your reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by