Possible egg eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrizzlesRule, Feb 18, 2011.

1. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    I've been raising chickens for 25 years and I think my new hens that just started laying may be eating eggs. If they are, don't know why, they eat everything and get plenty of oyster shell and grit, layer feed, scratch, bird seed, greens and other leftovers. I have seen other posts on this subject, but was wondering if anyone has any new ideas.

2. edithbunker

edithbunker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    farmington valley , CT
    Mine did that one time, not sure why but didnt do it again after.
    [​IMG]

3. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    How did you stop it? These are six month old hens and they eat like pigs.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. bjw113

bjw113 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pikeville, TN
    My mom said they had that problem a time or two with the hens they had. They had white hens so basically the ones with lots of yolk on their heads went to the chopping blocks. They had oyster shell out all the time, etc. Just an oddity here and there. We are experiencing this problem right now, we have installed a rollaway egg box which IS helping. Unfortunately, i have a few hens who still lay on the floor so we are pretty hit and miss with getting out there and picking up the ones off the floor. We are continuing to watch for yolk on the heads and may start the chopping block plan soon too, if we can't stop that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by