1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible Emergency About Injection Site Necrosis- PICTURE AT THE BOTTOM

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bantychicken, Feb 24, 2015.

1. bantychicken

bantychicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    I'm very paranoid I'm sorry! I just gave my Rooster his first Tylan 50 shot and the needle was a 20 gauge because they didn't have a 22 gauge and they said it would work for him. I tried to stick him twice and the first time I got in the skin and he squaked at me and wiggled out of my grip. I gave him a minute and tried again and was able to get it in. I know it hurt and I was getting ready to cry. I massaged the site and I saw no blood come out, so I put him down with his hen. A few minutes later I rechecked on the injection site and noticed two red marks (no doubt from the needle) but it didn't look like blood was coming out it just looked like a little red spot. I watched him for a few minutes seeing if he was allergic to the medicine, he was fine. I'm worried about Necrosis now, and the red spots. Are the red spots normal after getting an injection? (There are two because I pricked him twice trying to be gentle) What should I look for tomorrow as far as Necrosis is concerned?

2. bantychicken

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    Bumping because I'm getting very nervous now. Please help

3. bantychicken

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    [​IMG]

I poked him twice trying to get it in but the one I'm worried about it the one more towards the right

Edit:

It look like it might bruise a little is that normal too?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  4. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Alive never injected a chicken but I would not think red spots from the injection to be unusual. Why would you think necrosis? That's dying flesh which your rooster certainly doesn't have.

5. bantychicken

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    I was told that it is common at injection sites. If it bruises will that be normal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by