Possible eye problems on Muscovy duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Skye'sDucks, May 25, 2019.

1. Skye'sDucks

Skye'sDucks Songster

May 13, 2018
    As I went out to check on my ducks this evening, I realized one of my girls has a strange thing going on with her eyes. The right one is worse...I really dont know what to call it.

I'm not necessarily worried, since shes acting fine, but I dont want this to get worse if it is an actual problem.

Pictures: (shes an about year old Muscovy duck)

20190525_180810.jpg
    They arent watery or bubbly

20190525_180809.jpg
    20190525_180934.jpg
    This picture is pretty bad, but what's going on with her right eye is essentially whats wrong with her left, it's just less.

Can any one explain what is up with her eyes?
    Frustratingly shes one of my unfriendly ducks, and she flew off when I put her down, and I dont coop them (they're muscovies who can all fly. I live in a neighborhood where theres nearly no predators) so I cant do anything tonight, if its suggested I need to step in.
    I'm unsure if it's something about her 3rd eyelid...on the left eye she was 'blinking' her 3rd eyelid and it almost made the 'thing' disappear...

She'll should be there for food tomorrow so I will see how her eyes look then, unless it isnt something to worry about.

I just see something off and I never want to be ignorant and have any harm my ducks. Hope I'm not over-worrying :p

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Do you have a drake? I don't see anything terribly wrong. She could have poked her eye in the trees, or elsewhere.

3. Skye'sDucks

Skye'sDucks Songster

May 13, 2018
    Yes, I have a drake. And alright, thank you. I've never seen this before so I was wondering, 'what in the world have my ducks done to worry me again'? lol.

sourland and Claires Poultry like this.
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Could be the drake is grabbing her near the eyes when mating. Muscovy drakes are pretty clumsy.

Skye'sDucks and Claires Poultry like this.
  5. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    I don't see anything that terribly wrong. You might watch it closely for a week or two to see if it progresses, but don't think it's anything to worry about too much. :)

Skye'sDucks likes this.
  6. Skye'sDucks

Skye'sDucks Songster

May 13, 2018
    Thank you both--glad I'm just over worrying again, haha. :) I will definitely watch her.

7. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    The right one looks possibly swollen

Everyones right tho she should be okay!

if you want to help her out in alot of ways you can treat her swimming water with Apple Cider Vinagar

it helps keep them clean all over, including their eyes

8. Skye'sDucks

Skye'sDucks Songster

May 13, 2018
    Thank you for the post, I checked on her eye today and it looked about the same, if not a little better. So at least it hasn't gotten worse.

Instead of supplying a pool we just let them swim in the creek that's in the area they live in, but I have been treating their drinking water with ACV. I did that a while ago, stopped because I was lazy, but now I'm in the habit again because one of my ducks developed a sneeze/cough a week or two ago. (which thankfully has cleared up)
    But thank you for letting me know! I'll have to remember that in case their living situations (aka if we move) should ever change. :)

Claires Poultry and Jpat like this.
  9. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Your doing awesome then! you must love your ducks

iam sure she gets her whole head in the drinking water anyway! Mine sure doo:gig

Claires Poultry likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: