possible faker?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raymondjames, Nov 6, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    the hen that was sitting on eggs was there for 1-2 weeks or so and now she is gone. was she "faking"? or did she get bored or something? [​IMG]
    thanks in advance

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    keep an eye out to see if she returns soon if not i would incubate them myself. as for the broodiness idk never have been around a broody before sorry

3. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    try separating her from the other birds and putting some food and water next to her, or maybe candle the eggs to see if she was faking. i have never had a bird run away from eggs before, one of my favorite hens nearly died because she wouldn't move, but i pulled her off the eggs nothing hatched but she survived. [​IMG]

4. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    today is day 21-22... oh well she actually isn't my hen [​IMG] she's my neighbors who went broody. we already separated her and she did not return... lol...

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Most will sit with no problems and once in awhile one will quit. I don't depend on the broody anymore instead I take the eggs and put them in the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by