Possible Farmers Lung And How To Treat It?...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Jul 21, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am not sure where to post this question as it is not a poultry question, but a question about my own health! [​IMG] See, about 2 weeks ago I purchased some DE and decided to treat my quail aviaries along with the chicken run with it. I raked up all the old hay in the run and aviaries and started in sprinkling the DE. The chicken run, being outside didn't seem to bother much even though the DE was blowing around.

After getting it all spread around, I opened up a bale of Bermuda Grass hay. The first thing I noticed was how dusty it was. I mean it was like patting a powder puff of talc powder, it was really really bad. The smell of dirt and dust was really bad, nearly gagging me. But I took a good look at the hay and it was not at all moldy. So I spread that around.

Then I moved to the quail aviaries and did the exact same thing. Spread the DE and then moved onto the hay. In the aviaries however, the air was more still and so I ended up breathing a good portion of this bad hay spores and DE. (What a fool I was to breath this stuff).

Well, needless to say, about 4 days later I developed a dry cough along with a high fever. I had ripping headaches that would kill a horse and got horrible dizzy spells. At the same time, my quail started acting funny. They refused to sleep on this hay and thought it was better to sleep up on their posts that I have so they can look outside. The girls quit laying eggs for over a week. The chickens, who usually like to eat this grass hay, refused to eat it.

Meanwhile, I did some research on line here and diagnosed myself with what I think is Farmers Lung. All the symptoms I have are what Farmers Lung is, however being that I caught it very early and did not continue working with all these hays and DE powder, it will go away in 2 weeks time. It is treated with steroidal drugs to reduce the inflammation. So I started taking Aleve which I found that was the only thing that would stop the constant dry coughing, the high fever and the headaches and dizziness.

After I figured all this out, I cleaned out the aviaries and the chicken run, (wearing a mask this time!!) and replaced all this hay with clean hay. Needless to say, the quail are now sleeping on it, laying eggs again, and the chickens are back to eating it.

Well, me on the other hand am still suffering. I have good days and bad days. This is day 9. So I am wondering if anyone out there has ever had this happen to them and what they did about it? How long did it take to recuperate from all this? I would appreciate any information anyone might have, even if it was someone they KNEW that had it.

Thanks...Leyla [​IMG]

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Now that is scary! I have heard of this but never known anyone to have it.
    Have you been to the doctor? I am praying that you feel better soon.

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:I am trying to avoid the doctor. [​IMG] That is why I am hoping to find someone that has had it and can tell me how long it lasts and what they did about it. Thanks for the reply however and I am sure I will live thru it. [​IMG]

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Please get to an MD. You may have the flu, or you may have a fungal pneumonitis, or pneumonia. There are a number of other diseases that can present just like you've described. You're in NM? Hanta virus anyone??? Ehrlichia?? Anaplasmosis?
    I really hope you're feeling better, but you have to get a diagnosis. We can sympathize with you forever, but please don't expect a bunch of chicken enthusiasts to diagnose your illness. This could be serious.... it's your LUNGS after all. You only get one set.
    Good luck....

5. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    OMG! Get yourself to a Physician ASAP. You may have a fungal pneumonia or other bad beastie growing in your lung. Alveve is not a steroidal drug. It is a non-steroidal and will not do much other than relieve the headache. You may need very specialized medications to treat. This warrants an immediate visit to your doctor. Please do not wait! It could become a life long issue. Good luck!

6. alaina

alaina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    North middle TN
    I'm with them GET YOU TO A DOCTOR!!! Do not fool around, do not pass go!!

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Ok ok...I will make an appointment tomorrow. [​IMG] I just HATE doctors, but I guess it is time to get in there. Fortunately I can tell you it is NOT hanta virus and hanta kills you in only 4 days after onset of symptoms. You literally drown to death from lung congestion. I am still alive after 9 days. It happens several times a year here in New Mexico.

Thanks for all the replies and I will repost an update after I get the diagnosis. [​IMG]

8. alaina

alaina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    North middle TN
    Thank you, you will be glad you did!! I dislike going to the doctor too, only when I have to, but sometimes you do have to!! Keep us posted!!

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yep.. go to the doctors! You could have inhaled mold spores... baaad news!!

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I always wear a mask when cleaning the coop. I use DE pretty sparingly. I hope you feel better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by