Possible Female?? Am I right?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Paaz1120, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Now i am pretty sure that this is a female but I just want to make sure! She is supposed to be going to a new home soon and I want to be possitive before I sell her.
    She is about 1.5 months old.
    Thank you in advance!

[​IMG]

2. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    pretty sure you'll have to vent sex her/him....or wait and see if it crows. Can't tell by the breast feathers on that one.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The Tibetan Pattern Cannot Be Sexed By Chest Color-- Sorry [​IMG]

She's Quite Lovely Tho! I Really Like The Red Coloring, Not Too Common And Very Attractive With The Tibetan Patterning.

4. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I really like the Coloring and I belive its Cinnamon, but now that you point it out it looks like it has the Tibetan Pattern. [​IMG]

Thats awesome!!

I must admit I have never Vent sexed before and I am a little nervous about it but totally willing to do it!!

any advice?

Thank you all for you compliments!! : ) "She" is really sweet!

5. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

not too sure if cinnamon and rosetta are the same thing where you come from (no such thing as cinnamon in NZ), but it looks like a rosetta to me, you can breed rosettas by putting a pharoah to a range (tibe). It's to do with a gene called extended brown that controls how far the darkest pigment extends down the feather shaft. My rosettas always look auburn to me compared to the range who look more of an ashy dark chocolate and lack the lacy pale edge to the feather. If you put this bird to a pharoah mate you should get 50% rosetta 50% pharoah offspring. If you put it to a range/tibe you should get 50% rosetta 50% range/tibe.

6. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Vent sexing is difficult and probably a bit entertaining with a chicken thats 1.5 months old. Why dont you try better pictures first? A side view and close up of hackle and saddle feathers would be nice.

7. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Quote:Its not a chicken...its a quail.

8. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Quote:Its not a chicken...its a quail.

LOL. My bad.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:i think a cinnamon is a lighter colored normal like a red headed brown but the rest of the bird is lighter too?

10. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:That's strange, my tibetans that I've had I can sex from color. I'll run out and see if I can capture some pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by