1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

possible fertilized egg but I don't have a rooster (or do I?)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OrganicVanek, Aug 13, 2013.

1. OrganicVanek

OrganicVanek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    My girls just started laying a week ago - they will be 20 weeks tomorrow. This morning I cracked one of the eggs open and I swear it looked fertilized. Little white dot at the top. Now, as far as I know I don't have any roosters. Surely I would know by now wouldn't I? So, is it possible for an egg to *look* fertilized when it in fact isn't? Which is more likely: that I have a rooster who doesn't look like a rooster at 20 weeks, or that I have an UNfertilized egg that looks like it has been fertilized?

Just when I think I've got this chicken thing down they stump me again [​IMG]

2. pysankigirl

pysankigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Virginia
    a bullseye means fertilized, a white dot is unfertilized. so you might be okay! have you heard any crowing?

3. OrganicVanek

Aug 8, 2013
    oh interesting! This was not a bullseye and I haven't heard any crowing. Thanks!

4. OrganicVanek

Aug 8, 2013
    ok wait - when you said "bullseye" I thought you meant smack dab in the middle of the egg. Now I realize you were talking about rings like a bullseye (is that correct?). Just cracked open two more and I believe they are definitely fertilized. So strange... who is my rooster that refuses to make himself known?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Post pics of your flock.

There are good pictures of fertile eggs somewhere on the incubating section, you could take a look and see I if that's what you're getting. Yep, bullseye can be any place on the yolk, but it's a center white spot with a ring of white around it. Very trick to see until you know what you're looking for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by