Possible foot injury or something else?

Sorry that your hen is still having the issues—I am really sorry. It is hard to know if she could have been injured, has a riboflavin deficiency, or if she may not have had a successful Mareks vaccination. About all you can do is to give the vitamins and the anti-inflammatory medicine, and see what happens. If you should lose her at some point, then I would get a necropsy to look for Mareks. There is also a pcr blood test that is available for $20 at this lab in Texas:
http://www.vetdna.com/

Sorry that your hen is still having the issues—I am really sorry. It is hard to know if she could have been injured, has a riboflavin deficiency, or if she may not have had a successful Mareks vaccination. About all you can do is to give the vitamins and the anti-inflammatory medicine, and see what happens. If you should lose her at some point, then I would get a necropsy to look for Mareks. There is also a pcr blood test that is available for $20 at this lab in Texas:
http://www.vetdna.com/
Yes, I always get a necropsy when one of my chickens dies. Will continue to give the meds, vitamin and watch her. Thanks for all your help!
I will share whatever I learn...

So, after having Alice on Meloxicam for over a week, there is no change. She's now my special needs chicken. She seems to get down from the roost and ramp on her own and into a low nest box on her own. I do have one hen who is starting to challenge her. I also put her in a crate and feed her at least once a day because I don't think she's getting enough food. She is outside and eating grass while she sits, but don't see her making her way to the feeder in the run or coop. I called UNH Vet Lab and I can have her euthanized and necropsied any time M-F as long as I call ahead. However, I struggle with that decision right now.

So, after having Alice on Meloxicam for over a week, there is no change. She's now my special needs chicken. She seems to get down from the roost and ramp on her own and into a low nest box on her own. I do have one hen who is starting to challenge her. I also put her in a crate and feed her at least once a day because I don't think she's getting enough food. She is outside and eating grass while she sits, but don't see her making her way to the feeder in the run or coop. I called UNH Vet Lab and I can have her euthanized and necropsied any time M-F as long as I call ahead. However, I struggle with that decision right now.
:hugs

Thanks so much for your support.
Hope you are staying safe and well!
Jonalisa
UPDATE: ALICE WALKS!!!
Well, after months of Epsom salt soaks, careful diligence of getting her on the poop board at night, getting her down in the morning, putting her outside and moving her in and out of the sun protecting her from other hens and constantly checking to see that she could reach food, Alice began taking about 5-10 steps at a time. Yesterday she walked across the yard, stopping once and this morning she got down from the poop board before I got out there and walks all around the run. Now she's walking almost at normal pace!
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Alice WALKS!

Thank you everyone for your help and support!
jonalisa

UPDATE: ALICE WALKS!!!
Well, after months of Epsom salt soaks, careful diligence of getting her on the poop board at night, getting her down in the morning, putting her outside and moving her in and out of the sun protecting her from other hens and constantly checking to see that she could reach food, Alice began taking about 5-10 steps at a time. Yesterday she walked across the yard, stopping once and this morning she got down from the poop board before I got out there and walks all around the run. Now she's walking almost at normal pace!
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Alice WALKS!

Thank you everyone for your help and support!
jonalisa
That is awesome. I applaud you for taking the extra time from your day to help her. That’s just what good chicken keepers do! :clap

Back
Top Bottom