possible for one egg to be fertilized by 2 roosters?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2overeasy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Okay, seriously. I had a BO that hatched out 4 chicks about 8 weeks ago. She had a variety of eggs from the flock under her. I have 2 roosters: Jack, a barred rock and Mr. Darcy, a white frizzle cochin. Hens include: Cinderella and Snow White, the white cochins; 2 BR hens (no names); Buffy the BOl 4 golden comets (no namesl, Peggy, a black australorpl Molly, an EE; Ajax, an american grey; and Charlotte, a white crested black polish.
    One of the chicks, for example, is a reddish/gold frizzle with leg feathers. Easy: hen is a Golden Comet, and rooster is Mr Darcy.

One chick, however, is black except for barring on his chest (Jack?). But he has feathers on his legs (Mr. Darcy?). But he also has this weird mohawk/topnotch (Charlotte?). He has green/slate legs (Charlotte. Not a BR or cochin). Now he could have a cochin hen for a momma and Jack as the daddy, but that doesn't explain mohawk or green legs. Or he could have Charlotte as momma (mohawk) and Jack as the daddy (barring). But that doesn't explain the feathered feet.
    Oh, and I can't tell yet, but I think it has a single comb, but I'm not sure.

So is it possible to have 1 egg fertilized by 2 sperm donors???

Sorry I don't have a good pic. He's rather standoffish. I do know that he is definitely a he!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it's possible. Hens can store rooster juice for 3-4 weeks, so if they have been mated by 2 roosters, any eggs they hatch can be fathered by 2 roosters.

3. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    wow. The funny thing is, Charlotte seems to get less "action" than any of the others hens. Most of them have that "rode hard and put up wet" look about them (picked, ruffled and missing feathers on backs and necks). And I never see the boys go after her. She's just always there, in the background. Of course, I don't watch them 24/7....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by