Possible Fox Deterrant

Got Outta Dodge

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Have had a real problem with them this year! Have lost several hens and always in broad daylight! (My chickens are locked in the coop at night and free range all day). Took a few shots at him but it seems to scare him off for only a day or two. I made three "scare crows"....attached a few of those strings of mirrors to the clothing and have been moving them around every day. These are cheap inflatable forms of lifesize humans that I dressed in old clothes. So far so good....

Attachments

• 20210526_082847.jpg
    20210526_082847.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 248
That's pretty cool. I am considering making some scarecrows as well to keep a fox away that keeps coming by. I figure if I move it once every few days it might work. 🙂

Get some coyote pee.
Coyotes hate foxes and will go after them. If you have coyotes you won't have foxes. If you have foxes there's not any coyotes around.

Keep marking with the pee & the foxes will think there's coyotes present.

Get some coyote pee.
Coyotes hate foxes and will go after them. If you have coyotes you won't have foxes. If you have foxes there's not any coyotes around.

Keep marking with the pee & the foxes will think there's coyotes present.
Do you happen to know why dog urine doesn't deter them? My dogs get lead around the yard, but it's not deterring the fox here.

Nothing will deter a fox. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and that will deter them. I have been seeing a female quite regularly and now her kits are coming around. A couple of nights ago one tested the hot wires. I heard it. They don't usually come back around the coops and pens after getting zapped. I think they associate the zap with whatever is on the other side isn't worth getting zapped for. I have a quite powerful fence charger and it will hurt, but that is the idea. I want them to hurt if they touch the wires. My fence is grounded so if anything tries to climb the fence and touches the fence and the hot wires, they will know it. Good luck...

Nothing will deter a fox. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and that will deter them. I have been seeing a female quite regularly and now her kits are coming around. A couple of nights ago one tested the hot wires. I heard it. They don't usually come back around the coops and pens after getting zapped. I think they associate the zap with whatever is on the other side isn't worth getting zapped for. I have a quite powerful fence charger and it will hurt, but that is the idea. I want them to hurt if they touch the wires. My fence is grounded so if anything tries to climb the fence and touches the fence and the hot wires, they will know it. Good luck...
I know you've had issues and speak from experience, but have you ever used the coyote urine? I need/want my ducks to free range. Otherwise, I feel like I need to find them new homes. They are the best at foraging. My chickens could live penned the rest of their lives. My run has electric wire and works well - but I can't expand and feel that the ducks do better when allowed to roam my yard. No fencing around the yard of course as we are in a rural setting.

Back
Top Bottom