Possible frostbite? Pictures added on first page!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BethieofVA, Dec 27, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    We have had a big snow here in VA . My chickens are in a covered run and have full use of their coop. It has not been crazy cold, yesterday it was 28, but I do see a few black spots on one of my hen's combs. She is my best layer and it is bright red with a few black spots. I can not remember if I have ever noticed before. She is also bottom of the order, so I am thinking possible pecking marks. I was wondering if I should put some A&D ointment or vaseline on it? I will try to get a pic shortly.

I don't see anything on the other six birds. Thanks.

Beth

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My chickens always have a few black spots on the comb, I think they peck each other. [​IMG] I do have a bit of frostbite on my big combed leghorns - with mine, it's ONLY at the tips, which appears to be where it starts in most chickens. And it turns white before turning black.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Mine too get the black marks from pecking. My leghorns, which are not suited for northern weather have white on the 1/4" tips of their 3/4" tipped combs. Frostbite for sure.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would definitely guess pecking. She probably doesn't need anything on it unless it looks infected. Might consider stocking some BluKote, though. It's a disinfectant as well as discouraging pecking.

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I have to disagree. I'm pretty sure that my chickens have frostbite and it sounds like the same thing as yours', and the ones that have it are at top of the pecking order. Is the comb ripped at all? What is the ventilation like in our coop?

6. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    frost bite isn't necessarily caused by exposure to cold, pretty much all birds can handle that just fine, its almost always caused by a combination of moisture and cold. When the exposed flesh of the comb of wattles get exposed to moisture, such as a damp coop, the water freezes and the birds can't keep them warm. You often see this on long wattled birds who accidentally fid there wattles in the water when they drink. But what your describing sounds like normal scarring from usual chicken bickering. When it gets really cold out or if your afraid the coop may be a little damp you are correct, vaseline is the best course of action since water can't bind to the oil.

7. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know these are not the best pics, but that chicken can move!! I see absolutely nothing on the other birds. Thanks!!

8. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    BTW, there coop is very dry, chock full of shavings, etc...

I too wonder about getting her wattle wet, like snow blowing in on it, etc....

Thanks!!

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Frostbite. Or fowl pox.

10. radiodog

radiodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    my andy got this last year....frostbite; and she was top dog in the coop. it wasn't pecking/picking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by