Possible Gapeworm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by This_chicks_place, Aug 19, 2011.

1. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hi, I posted yesterday with symptoms my hen was having and didn't get any suggestions except possibly gape worm. I heading that direction as this morning, (she's still alive thank goodness) she does seem to be stretching her neck to gulp air. I have two questions....1- If I treat her for gape using fenbendazole, Valbazen or Ivomec what would be the dosage and which one would be the most effective? 2- Must I treat the whole flock? I guess I have a third- should I do anything to the coop and run area? I thank you for your answers in advance. If it weren't for this forum I would be lost with my chicken questions!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I use Valbazen, let me find the link and post it - yes, I would treat the whole flcok, it's so easy using Valbazen
    BRB

3. This_chicks_place

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    jerseygirl- Thank you so much for the quick response!! I'll keep you posted on the outcome. I was so worried she wouldn't make it through the night.......

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2
    Use valbazen only. You'll need to redose again in 10 days. Removing soiled litter inside your coop helps prevent internal parasites. Covering your run with sand also cuts down on the parasite load. Keeping everything dry is the key to reducing parasites.

5. This_chicks_place

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I do keep everything clean and dry. However, we had alot of rain last week and I think she ate a slug. Gross!

6. This_chicks_place

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My TSC only has ivermectin so I bought that and gave her .5cc. Also bought tylan 50. can I give her both orally?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by