? Possible gapeworms ?

Mamagirl3

Chirping
May 1, 2022
Southern Missouri
We have 16 week old pullets that I need help with! 1 girl shortly after going out to coop to live at 7 weeks began occasionally doing something we called "yawning". She would raise her head up yawn then continue as normal. Then soon after she began having very loose brown stools.. that would come and go. But even her normal at this time was soft enough to not be in any form like the rest. Other than these .... she was totally normal, eating, drinking normal.. no weight loss, happy as can be! 2 weeks ago another girl began the same behavior of yawning.. but would then gently shake her head and continued with normal behaviors, eating fine. Now yesterday I noticed 2 more girls have the same yawning behavior now. And 1 of them had a loose stool. Not at anytime have any of them had trouble breathing or can you hear noisy breathing ...
I have tried to research as best I can... some say ""positioning crop"" others say ""gapeworms "" ... I dont want to lose any of my girls (14) !!!! Now my dilemma is how to treat them? Do I treat all of them? Do I treat for gapeworms and see if the symptoms stop? This makes me feel desperate because I don't know if it will be too late to treat and I lose them.?

It's not gapeworms if they are eating and drinking, and are able to breathe normally.
They are adjusting their crops.
The only way you can be sure is to gather fresh fecal samples and take them to a vet to be looked at under a microscope for worm eggs.

Back
Top Bottom