Possible gender of fourth chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by raeshields, Jun 19, 2016.

1. raeshields

raeshields New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I am confident of sex of top 3 chicks but a little confused regarding my fourth in lower pic. Would this also be a boy, legs are darker than the other and feathers slightly darker

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I only see one picture, but judging by the description you gave, darker feathers would most likely mean pullet. BR roos are actually lighter in color than the girls.

~Alex

3. raeshields

raeshields New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

This was the second pic of the four, they are about ten weeks old. I had thought 2 of each gender but the lighter one at the back has darker legs. Only had them a couple days and first time owning chooks, wish i had found this site prior to purchasing!! Another question, if two are roosters can they live peacefully together in one pen?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The lighter one in front looks to have white legs. If so it is a cuckoo Marans instead of a barred Rock. Despite the lighter coloring I think they are pullets. A 10 week old cockerel would have more comb color by now.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm also thinking two Rocks and two Marans. My first thought was two cockerels, but agree the comb would be a lot larger at this point. I'm thinking it's just hatchery variation and they're all female.

6. raeshields

raeshields New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    Thank you everyone! Was thinking about getting Marans so that would be awesome if they are. I guess time will tell when they start laying (or crowing!!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by