Possible Hawk attacked flock, all my birds are missing.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mrserv0n, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mrserv0n

mrserv0n Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    I have had 6 birds for over a year, I live in a residential area, with a picket fenced yard with chicken wire around perimiter. In the day the chickens walk around the yard free and live their life.

Today I look outside to a pile of white feathers and my bird laying there. I run out there hes warm and alive but doesnt move. He has blood from under his wing coming out. And even blood in his eyes :(

I laid him on a towel in a nest. Hes breathing but doesnt make noise. I though about ending it for him but not sure if he will pull through as I can't diagnose the extent of the injuries internally.

However, I have 5 other chickens, One is laying an egg in the garage and alive and well. The other 4 are completely missing.
    No feathers , no evidence. Gone.

I have looked everywhere including driving around the neiborhood and talking with other residents. No sign of 4 chickens.

Is it possible a bird could of taken them with no evidence? Just kept coming back and grabbing? With leaving not one feather of struggle?

The birds have never flew over the fence but with adrenaline I am sure they could. But I am just distrought and don't know what to think.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A hawk will usually only take one bird. I think your culprit/s was probably dogs. They'll kill everything that they can reach. Some may have flown away and they may return. A dog or a pack may take more than one bird back home to chew on later.
    That is a tough thing to go through.
    A pack attacked mine. They killed nine and the rest flew away. I eventually got them back. The pack took a couple home for dinner.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I don't think a bird came back repeatedly and snatched them up. They could have gotten scared and ran for their lives (literally) though if it was a hawk attack. Thats probably whats going on here. After the shock wears off, they may show back up.

Are you certain that there's no way for a dog to get in there?? I've never had a hawk attack, but I have had a dog attack and there was very little sign of a struggle...a tuft of feathers attached to a speck of skin and that was it.

As for your injured bird, try and make sure he gets some vitamins/electrolytes in his system. He's most likely in shock and won't be very active or willing to eat or drink much of anything right now. Birds are tough little critters though...they can withstand alot. Good luck to your injured one and I hope you find the others [​IMG]

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry to hear about the attack. It is possible that a hawk could have taken more than one (although I don't think that is as typical of hawks) It may be possible that a raccoon took off with more than one as well. My other thought is that the chickens could be scared to come out of hiding and are underneath a bush or a deck perhaps.

your rooster could be in shock, but he might be able to pull through. I had a chicken who was in shock after a hawk attack and just laying there and I was very surprised to find her sitting up the next day. we nursed her back to health. Keep him warm and after a while try to drip some water down the side of his beak to keep him hydrated. Clean his wounds - I like betadine mixed with water. Put some neosporin on the wounds and watch for signs of infection.

It has been such a traumatic day for you and your chickens.

5. mrserv0n

mrserv0n Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Ok, its been about 2 hours since the attack, out of nowhere my 4 missing birds appeared. I checked the yard high and low I have no idea where they could of been hiding. But they are all ok thank god.

I brought the injured chicken inside, put him under a heat lamp and cleaned the wound. He was able to drink a little bit of electrolyte water.
    But he just lays there on his towel. I have the wound exposed to help dry it out from what I read.

I am going to take a picture of the wound and post it in the wound section of the forum.

Thank you for your concern and replies.

6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I agree it sounds more like a dog attack. Did it happen durring daylight hours? My second thought was fox. They WILL take multiple birds if they can get away with it.

I DID have a hawk kill one of my girls (I interupted his meal). She and her four friends were insepearable. I could only find two of the others. I searched everywhere. I called them (they always come when I call), and I looked in the neighbor's yards. Finally, I found the two missing girls shoved as far up underneath my wood deck as they could possibly get. They would NOT come out until I crawled under the deck myself and softly talked to them for a while. Finally, I called them one more time, and began walking to the coop. they rushed out to follow me, and I could see that they were unharmed.

It is possible they will return on their own. Does your injured have any puncture wounds? Can you take pictures? It sounds gruesome, but it will better help us determine what you are dealing with, and the best course of action to fix it.

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I am SO glad your girls are back and okay!

8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so happy that they returned!

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Just be careful that the heat lamp doesn't get him too hot.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be on guard! The predator, whatever it may be, will return. I would not allow the chickens to free range unattended until this situation is resolved. Good luck with the injured rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by