Possible ID on some bantam chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aquajunky, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Aquajunky

Aquajunky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    My daughter and I decided to go to TSC today to get chicks to add to our flock. We ended up with 10 assorted bantys. I believe the 6 striped guys are BBR oegb? The other 4 I'm unsure of. I originally thought Cochin but am wondering if they aren't maybe d'uccle? Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The striped ones are likely Old English Game. Do the whitish ones have puffy cheeks/muffs? If they do, then they may be Porcelain D'Uccles, though the color doesn't look quite right. From the photo, it appears that some of the whitish birds have grey streaks on their wings, so that would make them not White Cochins.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

4. LeanneP

LeanneP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    Aren't white cochins black/gray & white when they're hatched and feather in white? (Same as the black who feathers in black)?

5. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    No, White Cochins are a pale yellowish white as chicks. You can see photos of all the different varieties of Cochin chicks at feathersite.com: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cochins/BRKCochChix.html

6. LeanneP

LeanneP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    Trust me, I'm not arguing with you (I don't know jack! The only reason I commented was because I was trying to figure out which I received in my order). Here's a link to McMurray's page on them. In both their video and their picture, they show them as black, gray and white.

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/white_cochins.html

7. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not trying to argue, either.[​IMG] I was just going off of what I saw on Feathersite.com and chicks that I've seen in person. You're right, the McMurray video does show them as appearing greyish in color. [​IMG] Perhaps it varies from strain to strain, or from different hatcheries. The original poster may have to wait until her chicks are older before she knows for sure what they are.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  8. Aquajunky

Aquajunky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014

Definitely not white Cochins. I hatched a few white Cochin last year and they came out pretty much yellow fluff balls. The chicks in question appear to have puffy cheeks when viewed from the top compared to the old english chicks. I was thinking they could be self blue or porcelin d'uccle possibly?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by