possible illness..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jwells84, Dec 22, 2014.

1. jwells84

jwells84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    ive 10 hens not all of them are having problems but a few are having diahrea with a little bit of blood in them.they dont have anyother symptoms and are very active. im planning on worming them this evening,but tring to decide of i need to treat for coccidiousis. they are approximatly 8 months old.and im getting up to 8 eggs a day. thier bedding did get very dirty last week cause we got a good bit of rain, i cleaned it as soon as i could when the rain stopped it was right after that i noticed the diarhea. thanks for any help!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  3. jwells84

Aug 2, 2013
    Ok thanks!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pictures of the droppings may help. I would probably both worm them with Valbazen 1/2 ml given by mouth to each chicken, then repeated in 10 days, and start Corid (amprollium) for treatment of possible coccidiosis. Capillaria worms can cause some blood in the stools, but coccidiosis is a more common cause of blood in droppings. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Then give several days of probiotics and vitamins in the water to replace beneficial gut bacteria and vitamins lost. Here is a link for Valbazen if you can't find it locally: http://www.wholesalekennel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_24&products_id=29

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. jwells84

Aug 2, 2013
    Thanks for the help.I wormed them an all symptoms cleared up have corid on hand just incase I need it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by