Possible impacted crop? Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by manyhighfives, Dec 16, 2011.

1. manyhighfives

manyhighfives Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    My blue laced Wyandotte just started laying, and I noticed that her crop seems to be hanging really low and sort of swaying back and forth when she walks.

I don't know if it is impacted/sour or if she is just putting on weight.

She is not refusing food, and is not acting strange, but she has not given us any eggs for about three days.

Any advice would be really helpful, I'm worried. [​IMG]

2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    With sour crop there would be a foul odor coming from her mouth. I would take the food out this evening and then check in the morning to see if its empty. If not it could be impacted. Then you would need to try to get some kind of oil like coconut or olive(not reg vegetable) down her and massage it. One question do you use hay as bedding? If it doesnt pass with this method then you may need to surgery. Theres a great post on here how to do this just use the search box.

3. manyhighfives

Nov 27, 2011
    Thanks for the advice.

I do use hay as bedding in their run. In the coop itself is shavings.

4. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    How is it going with your girl?

I just got through a sour crop with one of my girls. It took almost 2 weeks to clear. I seperated her in a dog crate and withheld food for 24hrs. The following day, I dripped water mixed with apple cider vinegar on her beak so she would drink. The acv should be the unfiltered kind. I use Braggs. Then I gave her yogurt which she wanted nothing to do with so instead I added some probiotic capsules into some oatmeal. I did this for about a week massaging her crop as often as I could. One thing you may want to be careful of, the hay in your run. I am convinced that my girl got this from eating a handful of grass I stupidly threw in the run. It gets matted up like a nest and is difficult to process.

She's now back to her old self, thankfully. Good luck with your girl. Keep us posted!

5. manyhighfives

Nov 27, 2011
    Top of the hill,

I am convinced now that it is sour crop. I picked her up today and massaged it, I could feel the gritty mess that's stuck in there (she was burping too, I guess that's why they call it "sour"). I will be taking your advice and separating her from the rest until it goes away. Any other (quicker) remedies for this affliction? I will be leaving for a couple days (there will be a sitter) for Christmas and I would like to have it cleared up before then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by