1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible improvement to a Hova-bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by indigo flats, Feb 19, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Would converting a Hova-bator 2362 n from wafer control to a STC-1000 thermostat control be a wise thing to do. Would this be an improvement?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I sure like my wafer control in my hatcher----over 6000 chicks hatched under its control----almost perfect hatch rates.

3. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    What hatcher do you use?

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Home-made you can see on the right in my pic. What I was saying is a good working wafer is Good. I would not pull my wafer out my hatcher to install a STC-1000 because my wafer is doing a almost perfect job.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  5. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Is your incubator 3/4 plywood and is it insulated and what are the measurements?

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yes the hatcher is 3/4" plywood---cabinet grade---it was free. A guy gave me a 1/2" and a 3/4" sheet of this plywood---When I decided to build I used them--Incubator is built out of 1/2". No insulation. I do not have right here without going out to the building and measuring them. The measurements are close to a a GQF---Mine is a little wider and a little taller---I just made the a little bigger to use the whole sheet of plywood and so I could add a Styrofoam type turner(mine holds 47 eggs) in the bottom of the incubator to make it hold 335 eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by