1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible infection or just moulting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by starkarama, Jan 21, 2017.

1. starkarama

starkarama New Egg

Apr 28, 2012
    Hi guys,
    My 3yr old hy-line brown hen is eating, moving around and business as usual EXCEPT I just noticed this hardend rash /area underneath on her stomach and no feathers. The Feathers that are coming through it looks like the the feather ducts are a bit swollen.. She has moulted on her neck recently and I'm just wondering wether it's a continuation of that down her underneath or if perhaps it's something more sinister. She doesn't like to roost but would rather sit on a shelf which is not the most hygienic. We took the shelf down yesterday. Any thoughts on what it is and how I can treat her? Many thanks, Amy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Doesn't look like normal multing l am guessing that it could be a bit more serious

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like irritation from lying on soiled or wet bedding, or the shelf as you said. They can develop skin infections and breast scabs from this. Also feathers can become ingrown and cause feather cysts. I would place her on a low roost at night for a few days, to see if she will start roosting. Also take a look at how she is walking, her legs for scaly leg mites, and long toenails that might need trimming. She may be low in the pecking order, and feels threatened by the others.

4. starkarama

starkarama New Egg

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks for your suggestions! Good news, she is roosting so she is no longer sitting in soiled bedding. She is the bottom of the pecking order (only have 3 girls) but her legs and feet seem fine. I sprayed her with might spray but unfortunately I live remote on Christmas Island so no vet or animal treatment supplies here. I sprayed the roosting perches and then used regular insect spray for the rest of coop. Can't get any mite dust here. Will watch her and see how she gets on. Thanks again, A

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by