Possible infectious bronchitis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by igorsMistress, Feb 26, 2017.

1. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    My chicks range in age from 2 to 4 weeks and they're a mixed flock of RIR, black australorp, EE, welsummer and NN.

About a week ago the welsummer had coughing/sneezing and within 24 hours I noticed a RIR was doing the same.

I did some research and figured we would have to cull the whole flock and start over. Sad day. Can't get antibiotics otc and our vet doesn't see chickens.

Got some VetRX and put some on their heads and under their wings, chopped up some greens and herbs and put in a pan with some food. Putting GSE in their water and am planning to give some yogurt when done with treatment.

I kept everyone together because if one has it they all will anyway. Plus when I separated them then decided to keep them together they were so much happier. You would have thought they'd been separated for weeks with all the chatter.

While the rest of the flock does have a similar cough they don't seem as listless as the first two and they all seem to have plenty of energy and lots to talk about.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you seeing a lot of sneezing now? Chicks can be very sensitive to dust and mold, especially with spilled water mixing into bedding and feed. That can cause brooder pneumonia (aspergillosis.) But infectious bronchitis is a common respiratory disease that does cause frequent sneezing, and it spreads quickly. It comes from other chickens who have had the virus within the past year which has made them carriers. If you think that might be the problem, keep them warm, dry, well hydrated, provide good air culation above them without drafts, and do not breed or raise any chicks until a full year has past. Other common respiratory diseases include MG.

3. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Thanks Eggcessive. It's kind of made it's way through everyone over the week.

I've seen improvement in the first two that got sick. Appetites are back and they're more active.

No runny eyes or noses, mostly sounds like a cough not a sneeze.

The weather is supposed to be nice again soon. Some sunshine will help too I'm sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by