1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible Infectious Bronchitis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jimgunn, Aug 14, 2013.

1. jimgunn

jimgunn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    I got 6 new hens the other day and stupidly added them straight into the flock. Within 3 days one of the new birds had died from what I think was sour crop, but now one has started sneezing and has gunk coming from its nostrils. I'm pretty sure that this is Infectious Bronchitis. Apart from the nasal discharge, she is perfectly normal, running round with all the other, eating and drinking and gave me the run around trying to catch her. I have separated her from the flock and now not sure what to do. I'm praying the others haven't been infected, I haven't seen any signs. Any advice on how to treat her and possibly the rest of the flock would be very helpful, thanks.

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
  3. jimgunn

Aug 19, 2012
    Thank you, I really hope it's not IB. It's not showing many of the signs listed on the link.

4. jimgunn

Aug 19, 2012
    Can anyone help? Does this sound like IB or something different?

5. jimgunn

Aug 19, 2012
    Anyone? I've seperated her from the flock. She is not in the nicest place at the moment but I have to do it to make sure that if it is IB, it doesn't infect the whole flock. I feel bad as she was in such good general health, tail up, eating, drinking and foraging. That's why I really want to find out if it is IB and whether she has to be confined or is able to roam free with the others.

6. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    What did you end up doing with bird? We were chatting on my thread. My birds are no better. :(

7. jimgunn

Aug 19, 2012
    I did end up culling the bird. And 3 days later, so far, none of the other hens are showing any signs of the disease so it looks like I managed to separate her in time. I only chose to cull as it was just the one bird and the others all seemed healthy so didn't want to risk them getting ill aswell. I understand that most of your birds are ill so if you're not willing to cull your whole flock (which I understand, I wouldnt) trying medication to treat them all would be better. Just keep a closed flock is what a lot of people suggested.

8. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I'm just so confused because so many people are recommending SO many different opinions as to what to treat with. All the while my chickens are still sick. I don't know what to do.

9. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    People are saying treat with antibiotics in water, then saying that is a waste of time, others are saying Tylan injectable, or to cull, or to close the flock which I planned to do anyway...UGH

10. IrishAcreFarm

IrishAcreFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    Hi Christie, I didnt read your other thread, but if you prefer not to cull, the best thing IMHO is Tylan injectable. I had a problen in the spring, and it is the only thing that worked. I also read up on Oxine, and felt that helped too! Good luck! It seems you have already gotten information, but figured I would chime in since I went through a respiratory thing as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by