Possible Laminitis

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Blooming chicks, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    We just moved to MD three weeks ago to literally, greener pastures. My horse (quarterhorse mix, 13 yrs old) is suddenly very sore on his front legs and doesn't want to move forward. He is an extremely easy keeper and we thought he might be trying to founder since he is on lush pastures. There is no heat in his legs nor any swelling. I did call the vet--he will come out tomorrow morning if he isn't any better after Buting him today. So I guess my question is--if caught early enough, will he have problems the rest of his life if he is foundering? He has NEVER foundered before--we have moved all over the country with my 2 horses as we are a military family and have always taken all of our animals when we move, so I dont think it is the stress of moving. I'm really worried. Can anybody share any experiences with me in regards to how your horse handled a situation like this?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Its a high possibility, Did you put him on pasture slowly? Are you still graining him? No grain tonight or until he sees the vet just incase its hes Foundering. I would pen him in a small area to limit his intake right away... Did you check for an abcess? Digital pulses?

3. Blooming chicks

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I wouldn't say he was pastured slowly at our new barn--he has always been turned out for 1/2 a day. I will not grain him until the vet checks him tomorrow. I didn't check the pulse--but I will tonight. No abcesses visible and I wont put him on pasture--he'll go in the arena for now. I'm a bit freaked out--he has always been the picture of health. And we all just love him to death. I dont know what else to do until the vet comes. I just hope we caught it early and there is no permanent damage. Thanks for you response FC.

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I've heard of feeding hay every day prior to putting them on pasture so they are less hungry before getting access to grass and continuing to do it for a week or so while they're on grass. Sorry to hear about the problem...hope it gets better.

5. Blooming chicks

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Thanks chickenannie, we will definately try that. I never thought to regulate the pasture grazing, we only moved 2 hours away and in the same geographic region. This was not a lesson I needed to learn the hard way. My poor horse.

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought that horses weren't as apt to founder as ponies. A friend had a pony that needed a dry pasture or wear one of those halters with a small hole in it. She opted to let someone else have her with no green pasture.
    Sounds like you should have goats or dairy cows if your protien is that good! Make some nice milk!(actually I know nothing about the dairy goats). Good luck its not a easy road to travel- poor horse. Hope its a speedy recovery for the both of you!

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Please check for those digital pulses as soon as you can, it may give you a better idea of what is going on. If you can bed him extra deep tonight, it will help support the bottom of his foot. If he is outside, a deep sand arena or turnout will work. If you have trouble finding the pulse, you are welcome to IM or email me.

I had an odd founder here two years ago, did everything by the book and still had a mare founder. It was definately founder but brought on by the mare having thyroid problems. Actually she has no thyroid activity and is on medication for the rest of her life. I never would have thought of this connection as she was also an easy keeper. Blood work to detect it was reasonable and medication is down right cheap. Cushings is also something else that will cause horse a to be more founder prone.

Hold on before you worry too much though, and see what your vet has to say. It might be something easier than founder.

8. Blooming chicks

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I checked for the digital pulse, and had a hard time feeling anything. I think I felt a very slight pulse. He was about the same tonight after the one dose of Bute this morning, I gave him another tonight as per the Vet's instructions and will wait to see how he feels tomorrow. Even if he seems better tomorrow, I think I still want to the Vet to come out and take some blood tests. Thanks Verthandi, for the info--I think it is a good idea to check thyroid levels. I will keep you all posted.

9. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Not being able to find the pulse can be a very good thing. It will become pounding when laminitis is bad.

Positive thoughts for a good vet visit tomorrow.

10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Icing and cold water might be really helpful too. Any change in feed can cause this. Lusher pastures could definitely do it. If you catch it early enough, including icing, etc, you can minimize any damage. You can also have a really good farrier help trim the hooves to improve any problems that may occur. Keep him walking as this is a circulation issue. I am glad the vet is coming tomorrow. Spend the money and get xrays.

Good luck and keep us posted. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by