Possible Leg Amputation needed, need advice asap

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vyraal, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Vyraal

Vyraal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    I don't have a picture currently but I have a 9 week old chick with a severe splay leg/messed up joint problem. I got her to late to fix the issues and its just gotten progressivley worse, so I've been considering amputation. I don't think I could do it myself so I was wondering if any of you guys have ever amputated a leg, and yes, it still has circulation and the toes can be moved so the leg is obviously healthy. Sorry for any spelling mistakes, I'm on my phone so I can't really see the letters I'm typing. Also, I'm getting money for christmas so going to a vet is an open option, but what do you think is the cost range for avian vets? They're always so expensive..

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Kill the bird. Can you imagine suffering through an amputation and the subsequent recovery and then having to try to fend for yourself in a flock with only one leg? It's really not worth putting this poor creature through all that misery.

3. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:I've actually never heard of a one legged bird with an issue in a flock but I'd rather just leave the leg be then kill it, it might get in the way some more as time moves on but she's a happy and healthy little chicken and I couldn't imagine killing her.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I personally would not put a chick through that. The best thing for it would be to cull and end its suffering. [​IMG] Sorry.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Please DO NOT amputate the chic's leg. That sounds awful. Any animal amputation requires veterinary care. A correct amputation is a complicated and painful surgery and long recovery. If the chick is thriving, please just let her be.

6. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Thanks guys, that's why I asked here before going through with anything drastic. I'm just going to leave the leg be and hope it doesn't get caught on anything, but she is indeed thriving and very happy, so culling is not anywhere near in our future.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:I've actually never heard of a one legged bird with an issue in a flock but I'd rather just leave the leg be then kill it, it might get in the way some more as time moves on but she's a happy and healthy little chicken and I couldn't imagine killing her.

You can imagine mutilating her... but you can't get up the nerve to kill her? I'm a little puzzled by that rationale. If you cannot, maybe a vet could put her down for you.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Sounds great and makes me feel better. Always trust your instinct. Think of your chickens like you would your dog or cat. If your birds need surgical intervention, ask yourself if you would perform it on your dog or cat.
    Quote:

9. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    If I had the money I would definitely invest in an amputation on one of my dogs or cats if they needed it, I do fully understand its 'mutilation' in every sense, but I'd rather have the leg removed by a certified vet then by getting caught in our fence and ripped mostly offin a panic. Anyway, I've pretty much decided against this, and there's really no point in culling if she's thriving anyway. ._. I don't understand the kill it if its flawed logic.

10. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    I'm like you, I even keep the flawed ones. I just don't let them breed or keep any eggs from then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by