Possible leg injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kemclaughlin, Jun 15, 2011.

1. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Yesterday we were discussing the inadvisability of leaving an empty bucket in the chicken run. You know what else you should never leave in a chicken run?? A roll of chicken wire!!!! I would love to blame it all on my husband, but I should have said something because I knew it was dangerous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In spite of how it looks, she does not seem to have any puncture wounds. I will of course continue to check her out. However, once I freed her wings and one of her feet, I tried to pull her out and realized her other foot was really stuck in the wire. I did manage to get her free, but she is off balance, limping, and laying around. My 18 month old son managed to catch her. I only let him in the run with me because he can't catch them and his crying when I leave him outside is more disturbing to them then his presence inside. She has a little scratch on one foot, but no obvious injuries. Should I be worried? Should I separate her? What should I do? She is about 6 or 7 weeks old, and she is a buff orpington.

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    if I were her. i would have struggled and yanked and pulled and worried it until it hurt too much to do anything worse to me. then once I was freed, I would go sit down and be still until all of those worried muscles and tendons calmed down.
    Chickens are tougher than we think they are, I bet she'll be just fine.
    set her in a nice cool place and let her rest. I do not think there should be too much harassing at that age. So, I would keep her with the rest, but give her a box on it's side to sit in. Because if I felt vulnerable with a sore leg, I would not want to have to watch my back.

3. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Thank you! She found a good place in some tall grass behind a waterer that she is fairly sheltered in. I will just leave her alone and continue checking on her occasionally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by