1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Possible leg sprain in 11 week old Cayuga.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K3nzi3, Jan 13, 2018.

1. K3nzi3

K3nzi3 Chirping

Sep 24, 2017
    Overton, NV
    I need some help. Today I brought my two Cayuga ducklings outside today for some excersize. I placed them in their future pen and went to go work on my flooded driveway. I came back about an hour later to check on them and Quaggy, was laying down not getting the duck crazies like his brother. I pushed open the gate and he didn't even move. He even let me pick him up with no trouble. So, I got worried. I realized he hurt his leg somehow. I wrapped his leg up, and brought him inside to the brooder. Quaggy is eating and drinking. I decided to put him in the bathtub so he could get the weight off of his leg, but now is acting like nothing happened? He is splashing around like crazy (in a good, happy duck way) and playing around. He can move his leg, and scratched his face with that leg as well. He does still seem to be limping in the water though. Any advice?

Mama Runner likes this.

2. CarleeAnn

CarleeAnn Songster

Apr 29, 2017
    Louisiana
    Keep letting him have exercise time in the tub.

Does the bottom of his foot have any bumps or scabs? Can you tell if any joints are inflamed?

What are you feeding him?

3. K3nzi3

K3nzi3 Chirping

Sep 24, 2017
    Overton, NV
    No, he doesn't have bumblefoot. I double and triple checked for it. He doesn't seem inflamed, but it is warm. My ducks are fed an organic diet from Scratch and peck. (It isn't pellet, it has whole pieces or grain, pea ect.) I don't belive it is his food.

Mama Runner likes this.
  4. CarleeAnn

CarleeAnn Songster

Apr 29, 2017
    Louisiana
    You could try an epsom salt soak, but don’t let him drink it because it’s a laxative.

Could you post a picture of the nutritional value from his food to make sure it isn’t a viatamin deficiency?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Songster

Nov 12, 2017
    West Central Ohio
    hmmmm.....

6. K3nzi3

K3nzi3 Chirping

Sep 24, 2017
    Overton, NV
    I don't belive it is his food, he has been on this brand since day one, with no problems, it is an injury of some sort. But I can give you the facts
    Crude protein: 17%
    Lysine : 0.80%
    Methionine : .30%
    Crude fat: 3%
    Fiber: 5.50%
    Ash: 8%
    Calcium: min.. 80%, max 1.30%
    Phosphorus :. .5%
    Salt:.25%
    Omega 3 fatty acids: 1%

7. K3nzi3

K3nzi3 Chirping

Sep 24, 2017
    Overton, NV
    I sadly don't have any Epsom salts, and can't get any, the nearest grocery store with them from me is an 1 hour away.

Just took him out of the tub, (he wanted out.) and he is now drying himself off in a laundry basket. He is preening and cleaning himself. He is on his leg, but it is hard to tell if he putting weight on it. I don't think he is.

8. CarleeAnn

CarleeAnn Songster

Apr 29, 2017
    Louisiana
  9. Hello..
    It doesn't sound too serious. Give him time and he will be okay. Ducks are clumsy..

K3nzi3 likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Yep rest and tub therapy is the best thing for him.

K3nzi3 and Mama Runner like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by