Possible lice problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mystang89, Jul 21, 2011.

1. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    OK, I am sorry everyone, I feel like a drama queen with all my questions to problems but you all are knowledgeable and I know I can come here for helpful answers. I went out this morning to check on my chickens. Again, they are 5 white leghorn bantams. They are about 8 months or so old and I bought them about a weeks ago. I'm sure you all know this by now. Anyway, I noticed everyone of them scratch or peck at itself, whatever they do to relieve itching. I figured I'd go have a look at them. So I go into their coop and after coxing them to come closer so I could pick one of them up, which they didn't go for, I ran after, cornered and grabbed one. (Probably won't be seeing any more eggs...) I stroked the chicken trying to relax it and noticed several small light yellowish looking bugs on them. I'm not good with bug identification and I surely hope I am wrong but I think these are lice. I could never get a really clear look at them since the chicken wasn't all that cuddly and these bugs were fast. Couple that with lots of feathers and its like trying to find an elusive unicorn in a cloud.
    I bought some Seven when I first bought the chickens but was too scared to put it on the chickens because it looked like, from the directions, that you weren't supposed to put it on anything. It kept telling me to put gloves on etc and I figured that if I had to put gloves on it couldn't be good for the chickens. I've also read about Food Grade DE but don't know if it is a preventative or if it will take care of the problem after they have already shown themselves. I don't know what else there is out there nor do I know how to put it on to chickens. I am very bad with directions unless said directions are a step by step run down. Consider me a "directions-for-dummys" kinda guy. All I know if that I have a wife with nice long hair and 3 girls + 1 boy that I REALLY don't want to get lice. Please help and thanks.

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Ivermectin gets rid of external and internal parasites. But you should use Wazine first. Others can correct me if i'm wrong, but I think that is how it goes. Good luck!
    Mollie

3. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I have some Wazine but I thought that was just for internal parasites or when the chickens get sick with something.
    EDIT: The reason I haven't tried Wazine yet is because on the bottle it says "for the removal of large roundworms from chickens". If it will work thought I will put some in their water.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You have sevin dust, use it. It will kill the lice. Redust them in 10 days. Dust the coop and nests, redust again in 10 days.

5. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I just want to make sure again. Seven is the same thing as Seven Dust right? Or does it need the name Seven Dust on it?

6. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Yeay you got dawg53 to help you. You'll be alright now!

7. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:This is the best plan of action.
    Also chicken lice are feather lice and do not survive on humans. So no worrys about them getting on your family. If I ever get lice in my flock I'm going straight for the sevin dust. I've read only good reports about it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  8. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Wow, thanks alot for that little peice of info. My wife can relax alittle easier now.

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree. Been using Sevin Dust for over a half century. It`s safe even for broody hens and baby chicks. Use it like dawg53 sez and don`t worry about the gloves and such unless you have lotsa allergies. DE is for gardens. Almost totally useless for chickens..........Pop

10. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Ok, I've sat there with my wife and "dusted" my chickens. At least I think I've dusted them. Do you just need the dust to be on their feathers or does it have to touch skin? It is very hard trying to dust a chicken and not know what you are doing so I am sorry for all the questions, I just hate to do all this for nothing. Plus catching those darn things was no fun.
    Also, on the subject of dusting them and the coop. I don't have a duster so I just shook the dust out onto the ground and tried to have it cover as much area as possible. Did I do this right? I'm afraid that the chickens will go out and find something off the ground, eat it, and it have the Sevin Dust on it, then get sick and die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by