Possible Marek's disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cookie2630, Jan 23, 2017.

1. cookie2630

cookie2630 New Egg

Jan 23, 2017
    I have 2 sick chickens,
    First one born 23-10-16 so 3 months old. Has been sick for almost 2 weeks. Started as one leg not working, then it was back behind it, now one leg forward one back (like the splits) and can't walk. It lays on the ground and flaps. Still eating and drinking as we keep putting food in front of her but you can feel her breastbone if you pick her up. Have checked her all over and cannot find any injuries, mites, lumps, etc.
    She was a mixed pen egg but looks like a small black Aracuna, or possible smooth frizzle, has the green through her feathers.
    Was hatched by me from bought eggs, raised on Medicated chick started till 5 weeks, then pullet medicated grower. Now has access to Mi-Feed layer mash, and layer pellets. Also all chickens in Brooder have Avian vitamins in their water until moved outside.
    All chickens free range during the day, have plenty of fresh home grown veggies eg silverbeet, corn, watermelon, peas, and also scraps. They also get a bowl of mill run in the afternoons mixed with water to make a mash (they kept stealing it from the cows so now get their own while they are out free ranging).
    Bedding in chook house in a concrete floor in back half, dirt in front half. Roosting perches, and nesting boxes with straw. They have 6 water containers all changed twice daily.
    We live on 40 acres outside Brisbane, Qld, Australia, and it has been very hot the last 2 weeks.
    She was hatched along with Guinea Fowl and Ducks, all share the chicken coop (huge coop) and no others sick.
    I did purchased 7 Aracuna cross laying chickens on 15th Dec 16. Had them in the back half of the chook pen for 1 week separated now all together.

Sick bird no 2. I have my brooder over under my verandah that all hatchies go into. Current has 4 larger chickens, 4 quails and 6 babies in it.
    This morning I went to feed and water them and my oldest bird born 20th December is doing exactly what the one outside is doing. Right leg back, wonky on feet and just laying down. This was a different batch of eggs I purchased. This bird looks to be a Naked neck cross frizzle. Sex unknown at this stage.
    Was perfectly fine yesterday.
    Brooder in made from Marine ply. 1200 x 2400, half indoor half outdoor. Indoor has heat light. Outdoor has solid lid but mesh walls.
    Bedding is the wood shavings animal bedding. Eating Medicated chick starter, vitamin drops in water every day. They get greens, silverbeet leaves home grown every afternoon.

Chook pen and brooder are probably 150m from each other.

Any help appreciated.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC
    What do their droppings look like?

Bird#1 - is 3months old - has she started laying eggs? Layer mash is generally for actively laying birds. If I found the right analysis for the feed you are using it only contains 15% protein? She is still growing at this age and would generally need a feed with 18-20% protein and not that much calcium (chick starter/grower/all flock formula). Does your vitamin drops contain Riboflavin (B2)?

Bird#2 - Is approximately 5weeks old(?) I see that she shows similar symptoms - what is the analysis for the chick starter?

I'm not dismissing your concern about Marek's, but there can be deficiencies, illnesses and other disorders that can mimic Marek's, so you will want to investigate those. Marek's cannot be cured, so supportive care is the best you can do. If it is a vitamin or nutritional deficiency, then hopefully it can be corrected. Bird#2 is still a bit young, though it's possible to present early with symptoms of Marek's, but usually an average age to see symptoms is 12-25wks.

Vitamin B2 deficiency is one thing that comes to mind. Another that comes to mind would be Cocci. Even if they are on/have been on medicated feed, they could still have cocci. If you have a vet that can test a poop sample that would be good.

If you haven't done so, separate them and offer chick starter/grower that has atleast 18-20%protein and give poultry vitamins that contain B2. You can also give some egg or tuna if they don't want to eat their food.

Keep us posted.

Vitamin Deficiency:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency/
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poult...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

MAREKS
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Poultry Diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  3. cookie2630

cookie2630 New Egg

Jan 23, 2017
    Bird #1 still has access to Pullet grower, we changed from a medicated one to an organic one about 3 weeks ago as the bigger chickens were trying to eat it as well. We have just let the young ones (12 weeks) now have access to the normal food as well.

Bird #2 is fed Medicated Barastoc Chick starter. Unsure of protein as I threw the bag out when the feed went into the feed bin.

Vitamins have Vit A, E, D3 Palmitic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Oleic Acid. It's a breeding aid the produce sold me to give babies with vitamin deficiency. I had a few quails with curled toes but all fixed now.

Thank you for your reply, I will go and look at your links now.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Agree with Wyorp Rock = If you haven't done so, separate them and offer chick starter/grower that has atleast 18-20%protein and give poultry vitamins that contain B2. You can also give some egg or tuna if they don't want to eat their food.

I had a 3wk old chick suddenly develop toe/feet/leg problems (Curly Toe Paralysis), thanks to BYC members recommendation he recovered. From not being able to walk, in two weeks of PolyVisol vitamins less iron (3 drops), boiled egg yolk mixed with it's medicated chick feed & "therapy" exercise, he RECOVERED!

[​IMG]This is what his feet started out, then looked like he developed splayed legs but now he's the chick on the outside looking in. When he developed the problem, I separated him and now he prefers being a single chick. So he's now our Patio Chick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If that is a complete analysis on the vitamins, then try using infant's/childrens Poly-Vi-Sol (no iron) as @ChickNanny13 suggests or you can crush a human B-Complex tablet (no iron) and add it to their feed.

While it may not be a vitamin deficiency, it won't hurt to see if they improve with supportive care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by