Possible Mareks Disease

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
Hi all. Does this sound like potential Mareks to you?

Little roo with an unknown history, of unknown age, found roaming the woods. I understand that taking him in is not ideal in any way but that's done and in the past now. He has been quarantined from my other chickens the entire time we have had him here. He's actually in the house in a quarantine pen in my basement now. He's always the last chicken to be to checked on and cleaned up, I wear different clothes, and I shower after. He isn't getting a lot of socialization but I spend time with him twice a day.

He initially seemed okay - starving and thirsty but bright. A few days later he seemed lethargic, poofed up, and generally unwell. Took him to the ER vets and they found he was dehydrated and heard some increased respiratory sounds. They wanted to test him for Avian Influenza and Newcastle Dx (both negative) because of his unknown history. Xrays showed possibility of infectious or inflammatory enteritis, but also fairly nonspecific. He was on clavamox for 2 weeks and despite seeming much brighter, he still had increased respiratory noise and effort.

Took him back to the vets yesterday who agreed with increased respiratory effort. Took repeat xrays and the area of concern in his abdomen looks worse, they were thinking possible mass. Ran labwork, prescribed doxycycline. Labwork came back today and he has an elevated white blood cell, specifically his lymphocyte count, especially for a chicken who has been on antibiotics. Because of this, the vet is leaning towards Mareks disease.

I have no experience with Mareks. The symptoms listed online don't seem to match minus the potential mass in his abdomen. He's bright, clear eyed, no mobility issues, his skin and feathers look good. I just don't know. I'm waiting on pricing to have him tested because I want to know. But I just don't know.

Any thoughts, advice, input would be appreciated. Thank you all.

If it is Mareks, it'll become clear fairly soon. If you notice any trouble balancing or moving around in a funny manner, that is the first stage of the paralysis starting to set in. If he has one of the other strains of Mareks that manifests itself in other ways, I am less familiar with the early signs of that, but I believe the paralysis is the most common strain. Unfortunately, my understanding is that there is no real way to know for sure about Mareks without a necropsy, usually.

I definitely recommend keeping him isolated until this either passes or he dies. And definitely continue with your great biosecurity practices. Best of luck, it's hard to watch an animal suffer, no matter what the sickness. :(

If it is Mareks, it'll become clear fairly soon. If you notice any trouble balancing or moving around in a funny manner, that is the first stage of the paralysis starting to set in. If he has one of the other strains of Mareks that manifests itself in other ways, I am less familiar with the early signs of that, but I believe the paralysis is the most common strain. Unfortunately, my understanding is that there is no real way to know for sure about Mareks without a necropsy, usually.

I definitely recommend keeping him isolated until this either passes or he dies. And definitely continue with your great biosecurity practices. Best of luck, it's hard to watch an animal suffer, no matter what the sickness. :(
Thank you for replying. I really appreciate it. We'll continue continuing on and hope it's not Marek's. He's doing better than he was, which makes me hopeful!

Back
Top Bottom