1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible Marek's, infection, or Frostbite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Meinertzhagens, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Meinertzhagens

Meinertzhagens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    Gates, North Carolina
    Good Morning all!

I would like top start by apologizing for the length of my post, I didn't want to leave anything out!

A few weeks ago we noticed one of our 7-month-old Easter Egger hens had started to hobble to get around. We added nutridrench to the waterers and kept an eye on her and she seemed to be doing alright. I figured the cold had something to do with it and it had warmed back up.
    Last weekend we noticed she was hobbling around again. She started sticking around the house more often when the rest of the flock would go off and hanging out with my husband in his shop. The hobbling kept getting worse and she started curling her toes under on her bad foot and walking on the knuckles.
    Monday night I got home and she was on her side, on the ground, under the roosts. So I brought her inside and asked my local facebook chicken group for suggestions. I felt around both legs and couldn't feel any difference between the good leg and the bad leg. At this point I started thinking it could be Marek's. I started giving her nutridrench directly on Wednesday. She was still eating and drinking well and hobbling around in her tote but we would find her on her side often enough that I put that grippy shelf liner under her hay. She started spending enough time on her side by Thursday that she had to get a daily bath to wash off the poop.
    Last night she had diarrhea so she got a comprehensive bath this morning and as I was drying her off I noticed that she was missing all of her feathers on the thigh area of her bad leg. The leg also seems to be turning a teal color and she has a mark on it. I am unsure if she caused the mark herself when she kicks around on her side. The mark is just a dark colored patch of skin at this point.

We are still willing to give her some time because she has so much fight left in her.
    Any suggestions or input would be more than welcome! Thank you! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, so sorry to hear about your little EE pullet. Mareks does sound like a good possibility, but would treat her for riboflavin deficiency. I would get some other vitamins to give her that contains riboflavin (vitamin B2) since Nutri-Drench for some reason, doesn't contain that vitamin. Poultry Cell by Rooster Booster is easy to find, and you can also give her PolyVisol without iron 3 drops daily by mouth. The poultry vitamin powders added to the water also work well. Curled toe paralysis can look like Mareks, and if treated early, may be reversed. If she does have Mareks, they lose their immunity to many common diseases, such as coccidiosis and other infections. The green skin appears to be bruising, since that is common in chickens, but her dark skin could be another sign of Mareks or just where she is irritating it. There are 4 different types of Mareks, and each chicken can have some or many symptoms. They can have eye involvement, skin lesions, paralysis of nerves, and formation of tumors anywhere inside or outside the body. I would also change the title of your thread to include "possible Mareks" so that there will be more interest. Here is some info to read on riboflavin deficiency and Mareks:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Meinertzhagens

Oct 6, 2013
    Gates, North Carolina
    I just had a chance to sit down and look at the links posted above. The first one with the riboflavin deficiency is exactly what she is doing. I went to Tractor Supply today and picked up the poultry cell and am so glad I did after looking at that.
    Someone of facebook suggested trying tylan because they think she may have gangrene. I figured an antibiotic couldn't hurt, but wasn't even sure if this was the right one or if I should.
    A deficiency makes sense for this particular chicken though, she is our smallest and least aggressive hen. I try to make sure that she get first dibs on fermented feed. I'll have to step up my game for her if we make it out of this!
    Thank you!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would treat her as though she has an infection, an injury or a vitamin deficiency until you can't think anything but Marek's. Her bald spot needs to be kept warm because there's no protection. Depending on how many chickens you have and when you got your last chickens that were exposed to other chickens (or chicks).

5. Meinertzhagens

Oct 6, 2013
    Gates, North Carolina
    Update: The bald spot with a mark is now dry and shriveled. It is now also rough. here is a pic...
    [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    People always think of gangrene when they see the green bruising on chickens, when in truth gangrene is black rot, and smells very bad. I have seen here on BYC in a few cases there can be a green discoloration of skin with the use of betadine. Below is bruising:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I never said gangrene cause she has green legs. That injury looks better, it's scabbing.

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    OMG!!!! Egg that is really gross. Good thing I'm done eating.

9. Meinertzhagens

Oct 6, 2013
    Gates, North Carolina

It was someone on Facebook, actually a few people. It doesn't smell at all though so I don't think we're at that point. I figure antibiotics won't hurt anything though and it could be infected so I'll be picking up some today.

I am so relieved to hear it's scabbing, I saw this and really thought the worse!

Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by