Possible marek's

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fractanimist, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Fractanimist

Fractanimist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    South East Michigan
    We recently had a hen walking unstable and isolated her immediately. Soon she was unable to stand or walk on her own (she has been culled and that was very hard to do to our pet). The rest of the flock is acting normal after many weeks of isolation but wanted ideas on cleaning the chicken "hospital" ( the spare bathroom) and any additional tips on cleaning the coop. I've cleaned with a bleach solution but from previous posts this appears not to work for marek's. 2 questions:
    1. How do you know it was marek's?
    2. What's the best way to clean a bathroom and coop to prevent the spread?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    found this information which I hope will be helpful

Re: Crookneck, Marek's or Botulism -- please advise!

I read that the virus can remain in the environment for as long as 65 weeks after the removal of all infected chickens. Dr. Brown at First State Veterinary Supply suggests using Oxine as a general disinfectant (far better than chlorine bleach and water) and also suggests cleaning up any lose feathers lying around since they can harbor the shed virus. The idea that vaccinating infected birds may be worthwhile is a theory of ongoing research on Mareks. It's experimental at this stage, so I think it's likely that the State Vet wouldn't recommend it for that reason. If you decide to add birds to your flock you will have to be sure to vaccinate them for Mareks and isolate them from the other birds for at least two weeks. The PoultryOne website says:

"Mareks is extremely contagious but does not spread vertically (to the egg). Youngsters should develop a natural immunity (called 'age resistance'), by the time they're five months old. This is one of the reasons it is important to raise your youngsters separately from your oldsters. The older birds that have encountered Mareks and have managed to survive are carriers. New birds coming in from other flocks are always potential carriers."

also heres the oxine link
    www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by