Possible missing eye???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hosspak, Oct 15, 2013.

1. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    I just noticed that my BCM hen has an eye injury or it may be missing all together. It looks crusty and swollen. Just happen within an hour or so. Can I medicate with antibacterial ointment? Please suggest treatments....

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would clean it off with water or saline, and try to open the eye. If you have neosporin ointment you can apply some once or twice a day. When the swelling goes down a bit you may be able to tell if the eye is still there. Make sure it is not a respiratory disease, because symptoms can start with eye swelling and crusty drainage, and they are contagious. Diseases such a mycoplasma and coryza are very common.

3. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Ok, thanks. What are other symptoms? What should I look for? What meds can I start them on? It does appear to be only the one eye. The other looks good. It does look like an injury.

4. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Here is an update, today she has opened the injured eye. It still looks a little iffy, but I think it's ok. She seems to be using it to look around, not like when it was closed. I put neosporin on it for 2 days. Question; now that it is open should I still put the neo on it? Thanks again for the help.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that didn't see your earlier post. I would continue the neosporin. Signs of respiratory infections are swelling of the face or eyes, eye bubbles, nasal drainage or thick secretions, and sneeze or cough. Diseases which can cause these symptoms are mycoplasma G., infectious bronchitis, coryza, and others. Treatment would be Terramycin (oxytetracycline) or Tylan powder in the water, or Tylan50 injectable given as a shot for 3-5 days. Here is some reading, just scan through to those diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  6. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Use antibiotics without pain killer. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by