Possible mites/ lice? (graphic photos)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lemonlaw, Mar 6, 2016.

1. lemonlaw

lemonlaw Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Within a few days, two of my four girls (9 months old) are showing with bare bums just below their vents. The vent is totally fine, all the infected area is below. They are laying, eating normally, acting normal, but have some greenish soft poos. We separated the girls from the others, did a complete wash down of the coop and roost area, and gave each bird a bath in DE with a little Seven mixed in. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? We saw absolutely NO lice or mites (even checked at night) during investigation. Just want to properly take care of my ladies. Should I put some Blue Kote on their bums? The DE/Seven bath is actually covering up the redness for now. Thanks for any help, info....

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I believe that one or both of your other birds are picking at them. Separation was a good idea.

3. lemonlaw

May 22, 2013
    Thank you for your response. I thought that as a possibility too, but one of the birds affected is my alpha and she is fierce. She growls and pecks at any one who would go near her so I hesitate to rest on just pecking, Also oddly enough, there is NO evidence of the missing feathers anywhere. If there were pecking the feathers out, wouldn't there be feathers around the coop area? Or do the pecking birds eat the feathers and evidence? ;)

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They frequently pluck and eat the feathers. Some feel it is the result of protein deficiency - you might try adding a bit of dry cat food to their diet.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What are you feeding your chickens?

6. lemonlaw

May 22, 2013
    The girls have layer feed, 16% protein. Each morning they get greens (kale, spinach, cabbage) in the suet cage. If it's a really cold morning, I make them warm oatmeal with some fruit and mealworms. in the afternoon, we put out about a cup of scratch.

7. lemonlaw

May 22, 2013
    they also have a 20 x 50 netted run connected to the coop to "free range" in during the day safe from predators.

8. lemonlaw

May 22, 2013
    and oyster shells in a dish

9. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I had this in one chicken. She has for some reason a very slow crop, and suffers from chronic diahreah. We have wormed her, dusted for lice and mites (despite never seeing any and a healthy rest of the flock) and tried every kind of natural supplement in the water.

Then I looked where she was sleeping.... She was not roosting with the other ladies, and I believe what happened is that while sleeping in a nest box (I let them do so if they please), she pooped her watery poop all over herself, and it burned the feathers off, in the exact same place as where yours ar missing.

Her skin was red, but not scabby looking, and after making her sleep on a roost where she isn't pooping on her feathers they are growing back nicely.

In the case of my hen, she has always been a bit off. She has a huge crop, it's often stuffed full and very slow, and has always layed weird eggs since she started almost a year ago. She will get culled this fall when I send my cockerels in (we keep chickens for food as well as enjoyment). Sometimes chickens have systemic problems and I think that is the case for me. Since you have several girls with the same issue, I would look at worming them and revisit how they are roosting, and try to clear up the runs first in hopes that that is the cause. Good luck!

10. lemonlaw

May 22, 2013
    both girls soft green poos overnight. one had very watery poo. could this be vent gleet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by