Possible Mites on neck? Have Permethrin,should I use it?

Richays

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2015
Brentwood, California
My Coop
My Coop
Hello to the group, I'm new but I've actually been browsing this forum for over a year now for tips on caring for a pretty blue male who has adopted us.

He is well fed and healthy, but this week it looks like he is losing feathers on his neck. I'm assuming mites from what I've read on this forum. Our local feed store sold me Permethrin liquid to spray. Also a powder but we're reluctant to catch him and stress him that way. (Will they self-dust with the powder? They recommended trying that)

I'll attach photos of his problem area. He has the run of our court but is the only pea. (He arrived with a female Oct 2014,but she vanished last spring. .coyotes? ) There are wild birds that eat from his dish.

Thank you for your help!
[/IMG][/IMG]

@Richays ...Sometimes this can be managed with dust bathing alone, without any medication. Does he have a place to dust bathe? If not you could make a dust bath for him...@zazouse is an expert on this topic, here's a picture from her:

I should have mentioned that she recommends sand, ash, and peat moss in the dust bath. That's a kiddie pool, by the way!

Oops, and I really should have said:

Nice to have you here!

Last edited:
I know some will disagree with this but, the old school way which i still use is to put a good dusting substrate as mentioned before and i add sevin dust powder, not to much but a little in the bowl they have dug. Peafowl are smart and may not go to a dust area that you have prepared and may take a day or two but they will eventually start using it. Depending on the temps peafowl will dust bath everyday as a social event. Hope this helps.

Gerald

Thank you all! He's not likely to get another partner to groom with, unless we move into a ranch lol, so I'll look into making a small dusting bowl. ....maybe I can use some vinyl pond liner to keep it low key.

I'll post some good pics of him in the picture thread.

Rich

Thank you all! He's not likely to get another partner to groom with, unless we move into a ranch lol, so I'll look into making a small dusting bowl. ....maybe I can use some vinyl pond liner to keep it low key.

I'll post some good pics of him in the picture thread.

Rich

Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom