Possible mold consumption HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MikasGirl, Jun 22, 2010.

  1. MikasGirl

    MikasGirl Songster

    680
    8
    149
    Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I was checking on my rooster tonight when I noticed he was pecking at a bucket of feed. I had this feed in his kennel (outside) and had completely forgotten about it. There was maybe an inch of food in it, with a watering can on top of it. I called his name and he wouldn't look up so I pulled the bucket away (he had tipped it over sideways) and was horrified to see mold in the bottom of the bucket! I feel so stupid and am really freaking out! I don't know if he got to any of the mold because of the watering can, it doesn't look like he did but still am about to have a mental breakdown. I know it is my fault, but I just need some help! I made him drink some water, but I fear that isn't enough if he ate some mold... I'm really worried and any help is really appreciated.
     
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. MotherJean

    MotherJean Songster

    Don't worry yourself into an early grave. You might not think so by reading all the posts on this forum, but chickens really are quite hardy little critters. Not all mold causes the botulism toxin, either. Just keep an eye on your roo for the next 24-48 hours. If he's acting normally after a couple of days, then there was no harm done.
     
  3. MikasGirl

    MikasGirl Songster

    680
    8
    149
    Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Thank you..He seemed fine this morning, but I have to babysit my brother, so I haven't been able to completely check on him.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by