Possible molting?

Felicia89007

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2018
C0A58AFC-C04D-4F7D-8AA7-F3327FE72FD4.jpeg
The last couple nights when I have closed them up for the night I noticed that one
ameraucana hen is missing her feathers on her back and has a yellow hue to the area. I watch all of them closely and I am positive she had them before. It looks like feathers are possibly growing back in but they are just over 2 months old and I believe that she’s too young to molt? Only one in the flock that has this issue. Any help / suggestions are appreciated.

Welcome to backyard chickens!
I dont think that is molting. Could something posibly have grabbed her and ended up with only feathers?
Or it is possible she is being bullied by the other hens and picked on.
Watch it closley as if blood starts showing you will want to put something on it.

View attachment 1538783 The last couple nights when I have closed them up for the night I noticed that one
ameraucana hen is missing her feathers on her back and has a yellow hue to the area. I watch all of them closely and I am positive she had them before. It looks like feathers are possibly growing back in but they are just over 2 months old and I believe that she’s too young to molt? Only one in the flock that has this issue. Any help / suggestions are appreciated.
do you have a rooster?

Welcome to backyard chickens!
I dont think that is molting. Could something posibly have grabbed her and ended up with only feathers?
Or it is possible she is being bullied by the other hens and picked on.
Watch it closley as if blood starts showing you will want to put something on it.

Thank you!!!! You are right! It’s actually another hen that is doing it, got the spray that deters them and it seems to be working so far. Fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom